[SOLVED] Assistance with setting up Home Server

starwarsgamer5001

Prominent
Jan 7, 2019
I'd like to set up a home server for files, media (photos, blue rays, music, etc), and if possible saved game files, in particular mind craft. (which is a pain to transfer larger world files from my desktop to laptop and back again.) I'd also like to be able to access file outside of my local network. I'd be accessing the media on a TCL Roku TV.

Budget $0.

Possible options I am considering :

1. My job is tossing a bunch of old computers. I am not exactly sure how old but I think at least a couple of them are on the newer side. Basically they are mine if I want them. I was thinking of taking one of the HP Compaqs and turning it the server. Specs wise I think one might have an older i5 (last 3-4 years) and at least 8gb ram. Down load one of the free Linux OSs and go from there. I am just unsure what programs I would need and have never used linux before.

2. I have an old system in a closet with the following spec:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 black edition
RAM: 8gb Hyper X
GPU: R9 270x

Problem is it needs a new psu and I am trying to do this without spending anything at the moment. I could do the above as far as OS or I have windows 7.

3. Or use my current desktop for server duty as well. Only issue is I don't necessary want it running all of the time like a server needs to. And I only have windows 10 home. Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
GPU: AMD MSI Mech RX5700XT
RAM: Corsair 32 GB RAM
PSU: CORSAIR RMX650
1 TB SSD

1. With those in mind, what is my best option?
  2. What is the best OS for what I want to accomplish?
  3. What software do I need?
  4. Anything else I need to know?
  5. Is everything I want from the server possible.

My internet connection is 100mbs down and 10mbs up. Although I am running slightly above those numbers according to various speed tests. Server and desktop would be wired with cat 5e and everything else on wireless.

PSU:

Solution
Not worth my time to sell what I don't want from the work computers so I'll either donate or recycle. I am not going to put a crappy psu with my phenom system so that one's probably out for now for server use.

What about software? Is linux the best free option for a home server? What software will I need to accomplish my goals with the server?

Tips on setup?
Maybe run Lubuntu for a light weight Linux.

You can just operate it as a simple file server. Using Samba for local sharing and FTPS for external file sharing.

If you want something with more server roles. Perhaps Plex for your media server in Linux and something like Own Cloud for a personal cloud server. Although Plex can be a problem on slower CPU due to transcoding...
I'd say take the old computers and scavenge the parts to put together the best computer possible. You can probably cobble together a bunch of storage for your server.

Sell the remaining parts on ebay or whole functioning computers. Be sure to wipe the drives properly and reinstall Windows.

With desktops: Usually just the motherboard, RAM, CPU, GPU and PSU are worth the time to list.

With laptops: You can add the charger and display assembly to the list.

With Macs: Practically any part.

starwarsgamer5001

Prominent
Jan 7, 2019
Not worth my time to sell what I don't want from the work computers so I'll either donate or recycle. I am not going to put a crappy psu with my phenom system so that one's probably out for now for server use.

What about software? Is linux the best free option for a home server? What software will I need to accomplish my goals with the server?

Tips on setup?

Tips on setup?
Maybe run Lubuntu for a light weight Linux.

You can just operate it as a simple file server. Using Samba for local sharing and FTPS for external file sharing.

If you want something with more server roles. Perhaps Plex for your media server in Linux and something like Own Cloud for a personal cloud server. Although Plex can be a problem on slower CPU due to transcoding requirements. Just sharing the files and having the client PC's use their own media viewers is less resource intensive on the server.

Solution