Question Assuming I have a virus

Feb 22, 2019
So. I'm assuming I have a virus, as a couple days ago. Everytime I turn my computer on. Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome decide to open about 100 tabs each of support.help.microsoft website. And Chrome opening 100 tabs of Discord support and Spotify support (startup programs) . I have tried clean wiping Windows TWICE. When I go to setup Windows again. I get a message during setup saying 'You'll need a new app to run Microsoft-Contact-Support'. I even deleted the Microsoft support xml file on the second wipe hoping that might be the problem but nope... Still came back. Not sure what to do anymore. As I have ran MalwareBytes and CCleaner and neither detected a virus. Any advice would help.

Ralston18

Titan
File corruption perhaps? Before wiping/reinstalling there should be some attempts to identify the source problem.

Try running the Windows built in troubleshooters. Or "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

You could also try removing Edge and Chrome from startup.

Look for any other startup applications that you do not recognize or understand why they are present in startup. Google first before removing a suspicious app from startup as you do not want to remove something that is indeed necessary and needed.

Then, once in Windows, open Chrome to determine if the problem continues. If so, then uninstall Chrome.