[SOLVED] Asu z97 died, can I get a micro atx mother? (Gigabyte Ga-b85m-d3h-a)

Indiana

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
I've been using a Asus Z97-pro for some time, it died yesterday, I'm having problems trying to find a ATX replacement, however I can find some options in the micro ATX format, this one for example: Gigabyte Ga-b85m-d3h-a.

This is my current PC:

- Asus z97-pro
- Intel 4790k
- Corsair h60
- SSD
- nvidia GTX970
- 2 x 8 gbs RAM 1600.
- Asus essence stx ii sound card.
- EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3

So my question is, can I just buy a micro ATX motherboard like the one described above and just plug all together without any issues?

I never had a micro ATX motherboard, thats why Im in doubt.

Thanks.

You CAN, as cases that support ATX boards also support mATX boards. Micro ATX usually loses you some things in the change though such as generally only having two memory slots for RAM, fewer fan headers, fewer storage controller headers for SATA connections and usually micro ATX boards are a lot more cramped for space when it comes to fitting hardware. But it can certainly work.

There are plenty of Z97 boards available if you're willing to buy off Fleabay. If you can find a reputable buyer and feel like rolling the dice, you can get an excellent price on a used Z97 board, but there are plenty of new boards available as well if you're willing to pay a little more for them in order to avoid having to pay a lot more for a whole platform upgrade, and sellers know that, which is why they are a little pricier than they were new for most of them.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Z97+motherboard&_sacat=0&_sop=15

If you're looking at the currently available Supermicro Z97 mATX board, I'd avoid that one. It's a poor quality board.