Question Asus 1060 6GB Strix and MSI GT 730 4GB Drivers Question

Aug 17, 2019
Hello!
I am currently running a setup with an Asus Rog Strix 1060 6GB and MSI 730 4GB. I am using the 1060 for gaming primarily. I am using 3 monitors in total and because of that, I decided to put the 730 in the setup. Unfortunately, the 730 is in a different group (According to Nvidia forums) and the drivers are no longer getting any updates. So I am running both cards on driver version 391.35. I've been using them for quite a while and recently I decided to push 1060 a bit more since its keeping low temperatures (60C at Max daily usage) and here comes the problem If I go higher than stock default settings, (1060) apply them and run a benchmark /stress test(MSI Kombustor 4) the entire system crashes immediately. For some odd reason even without any kind of overclock applied the system crashes as well when I run MSI Kombustor 4. So far I've tried reinstalling the driver using DDU, updating every driver on my system and windows update (just in case). I was wondering if that problem could be solved at all? If you have any suggestions please let me know!

System Specs:
MOBO: AX370-GAMING K7
Bios Version: F42a
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
PSU: MTech Model:ATX-600
GPU0: Asus Rog Strix 1060 6GB
GPU1: MSI 730 4GB (N730-4GD3V2)
Monitor1: LG 75hz 2560x1080
Monitor2: Philips 1440x900
Monitor3: AOC 1440x900
HDD0: Toshiba DT01ACA100
HDD1: Toshiba MQ01ABD100
HDD2: ST3500418AS

Additional information:
Updating drivers to the latest version prevents the 730 from working (Fan spins, but no display output)
Games such as Riders of Icarus, Minecraft, League of Legends, Shadow Warrior, GTA V run well with no system crashes.
Overclocking software used: MSI Afterburner
Stress Test/Benchmark Test: MSI Kombustor 4
if more information is required please let me know and I will add it!
Thanks for reading my post, have a nice day!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
Just don't use the 730. Problem solved. The 1060 can run your 3 monitors just fine.
Thank you for your suggestion, but unfortunately I can't do that, because one of the monitors is using vga still. I know I can buy a VGA to HDMI cable, but I was hoping for an alternative solution.

Aug 17, 2019
An active adapter would allow you to still use that monitor. And you won't have to deal with driver issues or extra power used due to the 730.

Win10 should allow different drivers to be used. I wonder why it doesn't.
Is it possible to have two different drivers on the same machine? I read that's not possible, or you mean a windows version of the driver? I've tried to make windows install its own driver after setting up the 1060, but the driver gets uninstalled and replaced ...

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
You should be able to run two different drivers at the same time. The only version of Windows that can't do that to my knowledge was vista. Back in the win2000 days i even ran an nvidia and ati card at the same time. If win10 isn't allowing it for some reason i suggest getting DDU (driver cleaner program) and start over.

Aug 17, 2019
You should be able to run two different drivers at the same time. The only version of Windows that can't do that to my knowledge was vista. Back in the win2000 days i even ran an nvidia and ati card at the same time. If win10 isn't allowing it for some reason i suggest getting DDU (driver cleaner program) and start over.
I will give it a try once again later today and let you know if it works.

Aug 17, 2019
I will give it a try once again later today and let you know if it works.
I tried to wipe out the drivers and start from scratch. I wiped out the drivers in safe mode, removed the 730 and updated the 1060, but I even without the 730 the whole system crashed when I ran the stress test. Afterward, I stopped the computer and plugged the 730 just to see what happens with the drivers. According to device manager (before 730), I was running at driver version 26.21.14.3160, but after the system restart with both GPUs the other two monitors weren't working (the once I have hooked up to the 730 ) so I updated the driver from device manager. It rollbacked to driver version 23.23.13.9135(on both cards). If you have any other suggestions please let me know.
I will add the exact PSU model at the original post.

4745454b

Titan
I missed the crashes problem in the op. I thought you wanted a newer driver installed which the 730 wouldn't take. If the system crashes with only the 1060 then either it's a driver, power, or bad 1060/motherboard.

I suspected and you listed a junk psu. It could be the crashing problem. Kombuster is a benchmark problem so it will load your system harder than a game. (Unless it's crashing in game as well.) Canyou borrow a friend's psu? Just to use while you run kombuster and see if the crash happens?

Aug 17, 2019
I missed the crashes problem in the op. I thought you wanted a newer driver installed which the 730 wouldn't take. If the system crashes with only the 1060 then either it's a driver, power, or bad 1060/motherboard.

I suspected and you listed a junk psu. It could be the crashing problem. Kombuster is a benchmark problem so it will load your system harder than a game. (Unless it's crashing in game as well.) Canyou borrow a friend's psu? Just to use while you run kombuster and see if the crash happens?
I haven't experienced any crashes during gameplay yet. I thin I had a 500W PSU lying around, but I am not sure if it's going to work since it's not a well known/ famous brand. Sadly I don't think anyone of my friends can borrow me one since their systems are running most of the time. For now lets ignore the PSU problem(I was thinking that's the problematic part, but I wanted someone to confirm it as well) and try to fix the driver rollback issue.

4745454b

Titan
If you get crashes when benching it should be a power problem. Your psu can't out out 600W. I'd bet on it. My general rule of thumb is assume slightly more than half is possible. 350W or so. With a maxed out cpu and gpu you simply don't have the power needed. Gaming doesn't max the cpu and gpu which is why it doesn't happen when gaming.

Aug 17, 2019
If you get crashes when benching it should be a power problem. Your psu can't out out 600W. I'd bet on it. My general rule of thumb is assume slightly more than half is possible. 350W or so. With a maxed out cpu and gpu you simply don't have the power needed. Gaming doesn't max the cpu and gpu which is why it doesn't happen when gaming.
Thanks for the useful information, I didn't know that Kombustor is testing the limits of the system that hard, I thought its just another benchmark tool. I will try to get a better PSU in the future and stay away from overclocking for now, but what do you think about the drivers issue? Is it possible to solve it or I will have to stick to the 391.35 if I want to use both cards?

Aug 17, 2019
Which driver cleaner program did you use? You might want to install widows on a spare drive just so you know it's not a Windows issue.

Can you go to the 730 in the device manager and load the drivers that way?
I used DDU to clear the drivers (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html). It's not a windows issue, I've had this problem on different windows installs (I reinstalled it recently). I've tried to install a different driver from the device manager, but when that's done the driver changes for both cards.