Question Asus 1070ti not recognized by Asus B350-F after normal shutdown

jkalbin

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Hi everyone, long time reader of Tom's, first time posting.... thanks for all the help in the previous years with answers to others questions and hopefully some insight into mine... I have waited a decade to post and it's because I've google'd and google'd until my google'r was sore.... and I'm stumped.

Backstory: My friend and I built a new PC for our friend as a surprise with a secondhand 750ti gpu, specs:
Ryzen 1600
G.skill 16 GB (2x8gb)
Asus Strix B350-F
Asus 750ti (secondhand)
MSI Core Frozr L
Silicon Power 500GB SSD
EVGA GQ 650w Gold
Windows 10 Pro
Phanteks Eclipse case

He ran it this way for a couple months until he saved up for a real gpu, got an Asus 1070ti Cerberus for a good deal maybe a month and a half ago. He installed it, it worked great for maybe a month... then he used the PC one day for an hour or so, just web browsing, nothing serious, Nvidia experience updated to the latest driver (Feb 4th).... shut off as normal (not sleep). Turned it back on a few hours later to no video out. I helped troubleshoot over the phone with different cables, monitors, etc... he still had the old 750ti, so I told him to swap that in and try it, and that worked. I assumed the GPU died, he RMA'd it with Asus who told him it was fine and returned it (in a shoddy box, not the original and not well packaged, which apparently is normal??? C'mon Asus, I like your parts, don't skimp on the packaging for repairs).

So he tried it, still nothing. I now have the PC and both GPU's at my place and have been testing for him... the following I have already done:

-DDU the drivers in safe mode, reinstall the January driver (last known working)
-DDU the drivers, restart with NO video drivers installed and the 1070, no dice (750 still works)
-Fresh windows install (by fresh, I mean clean the drive using powershell in another PC, re-initialize/format the drive, install Win from USB)
-Blank drive (clean drive, only initialized, not formatted... would let the Windows USB do that)
-Swapped to a proven PSU (a Corsair HX650w Professional that I have in my server... server pulls a solid 100w more than his rig at max and has no issues, so not the PSU)
-I did make sure that the Eco mode on the EVGA psu was turned off... though no difference with it on...
-Tried both x16 PCI-e slots, neither work with the 1070, both work with the 750
-Tried different power cables for the GPU, but the ones that work for the 750 don't work for the 1070 (though the 750 is a 6 pin, the 1070 is an 8 pin)
-Cleared the CMOS (battery pulled for 5 mins)
-Pulled both sticks of RAM, tried just 1 (in slot A2, correct for this mobo), tried just the other one, tried swapping them
-Re-seated all mobo power cables, really all power connections period have been checked three times by now...

After hours of testing, I've come to the conclusion that the system just isn't booting (Ryzen no onboard video, so hard to tell). The USB ports are getting power with the 1070, but they aren't functional (keyboard/mouse not lighting up). I know they're getting power because I used a USB test light. The 1070 is getting power, the led lights up and the fans start initially and kick back on if left on long enough to get warm.

The Asus Aura profile on the mobo IS activating (goes from sleeping "rainbow" to solid red for powered on), but getting the solid white LED system indicator light up by the CPU. From what I've read, that is "VGA not detected". Normal behavior is a solid green light.

Besides RMA'ing both the mobo and the GPU together, does anyone have any ideas? I would think that the GPU and mobo should have no issues, they're both Asus builds... I'm at a loss for what else to do. I'll be trying his 1070 in my PC tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't spread its disease to my rig, lol.

Thank you all in advance, appreciate any and all help!

jkalbin

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Any bios updates available?

Yes, it was on 3803, just flashed to 4207... no change. Also tried the GPU in another PC, it works there so the Asus was right and the GPU is fine.

I also tried a THIRD, brand new PSU that I confirmed on another PC (Seasonic 650w Platinum), that's not it...

As a last ditch effort, I tried pulling the CPU, RAM and CMOS for 10 mins and reinstalling everything, same thing.... unfortunately I think its time to RMA the mobo.

I'll do my best to report back for future Tom's Hardware stalkers like me on the results.

jkalbin

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Update:

Asus warranty replaced the mobo, the PCIe lanes were all messed up somehow, no details given, but a fresh new mobo was just delivered. Thanks Asus.