[SOLVED] Asus 1080TI Vs Asus 2080

Oct 10, 2018
So I'm planning on building myself a computer towards the end of December and I'm looking at graphics card a was wondering if the $70 increase from the ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Triple-Fan 11GB GDDR5X ($769.99) and the ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Overclocked Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR6 ($839.99) is worth it.

Note I will be both gaming and using CAD programs and rendering software.
I'll be running a Threadripper 2 the 2920x when it is released on a ASUS ROG X399-E Gaming with 32GB of RAM

Or is it worth just saving up and getting the 2080Ti

1080Ti
https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING/
https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RTX2080TI-O11G/

Solution
I would look at the used market if you're comfortable with it, 1080 ti's are regularly selling for $500 or under where I am and 1080s are going for $350. That's A LOT of value per dollar compared to the RTX cards, especially when a lot of the used cards are less than a year old with warranties left on them. Otherwise, if you can wait for a month or two maybe we'll actually see if RTX does anything, but i guess you can always say to wait. The RTX 2080 ti is a total ripoff value-wise IMO, not really worth it under any circumstances at the moment unless you have infinite money burning a hole in your pocket.

Graphics card warranties are NEVER transferable. So unless you are buying it from somebody who lives next door to you and doesn't mind having to handle the RMA if it is ever necessary, that's a no go in the tech world. You would need to be able to provide original purchase information tied directly to yourself or be able to show proof that the purchaser was your builder. In most cases, that isn't going to fly as most sellers will refuse to be bothered with it and once the sale is done, you're on your own.

I wouldn't buy ANY used card unless it was from somebody I'd have no issue inviting to dinner at my mother's house for the holidays. Maybe not then. Practically 75% of these cards have been used for mining and were run hard 24/7 or had their bios modified. One year of mining might equal three to four years of hard gaming. Not a bargain and a highly risky proposition in my book.

If the card was never registered online, and most haven't, then it's easily transferrable. The last 2 used cards I've bought I've asked the seller for the reciept (if they have the box they usually have it) and immediately registered it under my name online. I had my first 980 ti go bad on me and EVGA replaced it in 5 days with no fuss. You have to be particular about who you're buying from but it's absolutely a good deal if you take the right precautions. I think 75% being used for mining is an overestimation, there are tons of joe schmoes on craigslist who bought a GTX 1080 at best buy and sell their card after seeing that the 2080 is coming out. All the ads that are selling in bulk make it blatantly obvious that they've been mined on. Just my 2c, but in my opinion being able to get 30-50% off MSRP and tax is worth it because I just don't see there being a 30-50% chance of an average GPU selling on the used market failing before it becomes obsolete. That being said, if that sounds like too much fuss then I can 100% see why someone would avoid the used market altogether, I'm just not going to.

And that is the great thing. Most people, I would say all, but we have members in places where that is somewhat dubious, have the right to their own opinion and I fully support that. Equally true is that I don't have to agree, but I'll leave it at that.

As for the registration, I guess you'd be right but I think MOST, a very large percentage, of those who buy 500+ dollar cards are inclined to register them very soon after purchase. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't as well. I also think a lot of people would be unwilling to provide a stranger, in this day and age, with a receipt that likely contains a like of personally identifiable information and I wouldn't blame them. In fact, I'd highly recommend against it. But maybe some don't care. I think most do.

Since the vast majority of electronics are purchased online using credit cards, there is a lot of information contained on purchase receipts to not want to give up, so I think a lot of those sellers would disagree with being willing to relinquish those receipts and without enough or all of the purchase information, might be a hard sell when it comes times to register or RMA. Maybe not, but personally, not worth the risk to me.

Regardless, both ways are options. I can agree on that. Certainly if you can get a card for a substantially lower price, it's certainly at least worth considering, even if the decision is that it is either too risky or that it's too much money to spend on a card and not get a FULL warranty, as you would with a brand new purchase.