Asus 12x/40x or Sony 12x/40x DVD?

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I plan to buy a DVD and i am between a Sony and an Asus. Both are 12x/40x but the Sony is almost 1/3 cheaper than the Asus DVD. I want to ask if both models are reliable and have good performance. Also do you know if both models are region free? Where can i find a site with info on region free DVDs and how to tweak them?

Thanks
Palpatine

G

None. Get the Pioneer 116 16x--either slot or tray load (the slot has digital out).

There is a program you can download anywhere called DVD Genie which unlocks the region code.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I have the Pioneer 105S slot in and i think its very slow. When i rip dvds it's speed is 1x max and not the 16x that it claims to be. Besides that i want the new dvd for my second computer and i want to keep the bugdet to low levels. Pioneer 116/106 costs almost twice than the sony DVD.
Also the pioneer i got was BIOS region locked and i had to flah the bios with a new one to remove the lock. DVD genie i think can change the window's region not the DVD's

G

Last time I checked on pricewatch, the Sony 12x/40x was $64 while the Pioneer 116 16x is only $52(the 106 is the 'older' version).

When I use SmartRipper to rip a DVD, the speed averages around 6x...I don't think any DVD will actually run at their rated max speed.

As far as the Region lock is concerned, I don't know how to explain your problem...but I had no problem.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>