[SOLVED] ASUS 2070S Advanced Edition not running on default speeds

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Hello,

I noticed that my GPU is not running on default speeds even though I haven't done any OC. Clock speed is 1980MHz which is faster than default speed 1830MHz at max. Memory clock is running at 7000MHz which is half its default speed.

any thoughts?

ND302t.png

jju9PN.jpg

Solution
Yes, occt uses AVX and linpack, which combines high memory usage and brutal AVX amounts and can run a synthetic load of @ 130% cpu. Kinda somewhat beyond any reasonable render or other multicore max usage.

But occt also defaults to an 80°C limit, and stops the test there (unless you change it manually) so many ppl assume it's a crash, when really it isn't, just hitting pre-determined temp limits.

For temps it's best to use Prime95 v26.6 small fft or use a newer version and disable the AVX. 100% cpu workload with no variences, so gives the best baseline results. The others mix in ram usage, so tend to bounce from 80% and up, only really giving peak temps spikes, which include AVX usage. Kinda pointless.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
DDR. Double data rate. Same as the DDR4 in your system ram is listed as 3200MHz, it really is only 1600MHz Data Rate. Your cards memory is running at 7k Data Rate or 14k DDR. All depends on how the software reads it.

Gpu memory (Gddr5) actually has 4 clocks, the first being the Command clock (CK) which is the actual speed of the ram (look on GPU-Z). The write clocks double that twice and thats the data rate.

So an rtx2080 with a gpu-Z of 1750MHz (CK) runs an effective memory of 14k (1750x2 =3500 (write speeds) , x2 =7000 for Data Rate (read+write) x2 =14k (DDR)).

It gets really confusing. But boils down to what the software reads, data rate or double. Same as windows used to show DDR, but now shows DR, which freaked a lot of people out thinking their ram suddenly was only running at half speed.

Last edited:

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
DDR. Double data rate. Same as the DDR4 in your system ram is listed as 3200MHz, it really is only 1600MHz Data Rate. Your cards memory is running at 7k Data Rate or 14k DDR. All depends on how the software reads it.
Thank you for the fast response.

From what I understand with my lil tech knowledge that GPU memory is running normally as advertised. How about core clock running faster than default by 150MHz?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu boost3. The advertised clock speed is in normal terms, the default setting. But if temps and voltages allow, it'll actually boost a little higher. Previous boosts had a set limit, it would only boost to a certain limit, regardless of temps. This led to underwhelming performance when the card was only warm, but overwhelming temps during heavy use. So gpu boost3 sets a variable limit on boost so you'll see a variable amount of boost depending on how hard the card is pushed. Good for keeping temps in check which prolongs lifespan of the gpu and gives better playability overall, even if the numbers aren't as high as you'd like or over what you expect.

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Gpu boost3. The advertised clock speed is in normal terms, the default setting. But if temps and voltages allow, it'll actually boost a little higher. Previous boosts had a set limit, it would only boost to a certain limit, regardless of temps. This led to underwhelming performance when the card was only warm, but overwhelming temps during heavy use. So gpu boost3 sets a variable limit on boost so you'll see a variable amount of boost depending on how hard the card is pushed. Good for keeping temps in check which prolongs lifespan of the gpu and gives better playability overall, even if the numbers aren't as high as you'd like or over what you expect.
Interesting.

I have my 9700k OC'ed to 5ghz with AVX set on -2. I noticed it always gives me 4.8ghz in games even though from what I understood that AVX usually should not affect CPU core speed in games and it should only lower core speed by .2 in softwares that use AVX such as photo and video editing. any thoughts on that?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All core locked OC at 5GHz? Or just a turbo rated OC.

The AVX can be a little funky. The cpu knows when it detects AVX usage and you've got it set to drop 200MHz. Many games do use a very slight amount of AVX to bolster physX support in massive particle movement scenes, like all the debris from a ricochet or explosion, but that's still AVX usage, and will still drop the cpu OC.

So most gamers with OC don't bother with an AVX offset, as they aren't doing CC or editing etc, and then the tiny amount of AVX doesn't affect the OC. So they'll see a few °C spike in cpu temps momentarily when an explosion hits, but it won't be a massive sudden move from 70-90°C.

Even stress tests such as occt or Aida64 use AVX, one of reasons why Prime95 is preferred as that aspect can be disabled (usually just 2, the 9900k uses all 3)

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
All core locked OC at 5GHz? Or just a turbo rated OC.

The AVX can be a little funky. The cpu knows when it detects AVX usage and you've got it set to drop 200MHz. Many games do use a very slight amount of AVX to bolster physX support in massive particle movement scenes, like all the debris from a ricochet or explosion, but that's still AVX usage, and will still drop the cpu OC.

So most gamers with OC don't bother with an AVX offset, as they aren't doing CC or editing etc, and then the tiny amount of AVX doesn't affect the OC. So they'll see a few °C spike in cpu temps momentarily when an explosion hits, but it won't be a massive sudden move from 70-90°C.

Even stress tests such as occt or Aida64 use AVX, one of reasons why Prime95 is preferred as that aspect can be disabled (usually just 2, the 9900k uses all 3)
Yes. all cores locked OC at 5ghz. I had it @5ghz without avx. I had no issues with gaming for long period of time and it passed almost all tests (realbench, cinebench and AIDA64) except OCCT. It used to crash on OCCT within less than 3 mins. It passed OCCT after settings AVX to -2.

I think i'm gonna go back to 5ghz without avx and ignore OCCT results since I had no issues in gaming.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, occt uses AVX and linpack, which combines high memory usage and brutal AVX amounts and can run a synthetic load of @ 130% cpu. Kinda somewhat beyond any reasonable render or other multicore max usage.

But occt also defaults to an 80°C limit, and stops the test there (unless you change it manually) so many ppl assume it's a crash, when really it isn't, just hitting pre-determined temp limits.

For temps it's best to use Prime95 v26.6 small fft or use a newer version and disable the AVX. 100% cpu workload with no variences, so gives the best baseline results. The others mix in ram usage, so tend to bounce from 80% and up, only really giving peak temps spikes, which include AVX usage. Kinda pointless.

Solution