[SOLVED] ASUS 3080 TUF OC/Usage

Kkehlet88

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
I recently got my new RIG, and i've noticed in Warzone in particular, that my GPU rarely goes above 80% usage.
Usually it sits around 50-70%. My frames can go from 150-230 depending on the the areas i'm in. I play on low/fps settings at 1080p.

My SPECS are:
Asus TUF gaming Z490-Plus
Corsair TX750M 750W
Intel i9 10900 - Corsair H100x Liquid Cooler (CPU set to performance mode in BIOS)
Asus 3080 TUF
32 GB Corsair Vengance LPX (3200MHZ) - XMP-1

Then I came across this guy on Youtube the other day, and he runs avarage 200FPS in ALL zones. At 1080p, low settings.
I also noticed that his GPU usage is never below 70% - Actually almost around 80-100%.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq65rrwm9_o&t=8s&ab_channel=TechImperium

Is there something he maybe have done to his GPU in terms of overclocking compared to mine ?

Also I'm not interested in a "hardcore" OC. I just want to know if there is something safe I can do to advance the card a bit more ?

I have actually come across a lot of people on reddit who complains about this issue. (If thats the case)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
"Is there something he maybe have done to his GPU in terms of overclocking compared to mine?"
There's so many possible variables that... I wouldn't even worry about it.
-faster ram
-more effective cpu cooler for use with the 10900 & 10900K's exclusive Thermal Velocity Boost, thus yielding higher boost clocks
-unknown Nvidia Control Panel settings
-3rd party software installed, or lack thereof... the fewer software apps, the smoother the PC will operate
-drivers
-the cooler the gpu runs, the higher the average boost clocks will be, bar power limits, anyway
-game stored on an SSD
-pretty good internet connection, stayed below 100ms
And so on...

At 1080p low, the cpu and ram frequency are making a difference, as well as whatever other...

Kkehlet88

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
CPU/GPU temps are around 60-65 constantly when gaming, so nothing is wrong here. The usage is also around 50% as said before. It can dip higher but in general its around this.

RAM usage is normal. How do I check SSD usage ? Also with Rivatuner ?

Oct 8, 2020
if you click on system specs show more in that vid
CPU: i9 10900K (Removed Power Limits & 48x Ring Ratio)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360

Without a CPU bottleneck your gpu usage will go up. Looks like he did some simple ocing that you did not. Also bloatware, he has a radiator 1/3 bigger you then yours. Ambient temp matters as well. Even a anti virus can bog you a little. Different areas of the game. He probably has a more barebones Windows install.

Kkehlet88

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
if you click on system specs show more in that vid
CPU: i9 10900K (Removed Power Limits & 48x Ring Ratio)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360

Without a CPU bottleneck your gpu usage will go up. Looks like he did some simple ocing that you did not. Also bloatware, he has a radiator 1/3 bigger you then yours. Ambient temp matters as well. Even a anti virus can bog you a little. Different areas of the game. He probably has a more barebones Windows install.

Thanks for the answer Jahh.

Well my i9 10900 is running 4.6ghz on all cores with performance mode. It scores 6k in cinebench which is only like 200-300 points short of the K version.

But that do not explain why my GPU usage never gets as high as his does ?

So will it do any difference if I clock ny GPU a little, or is this simply a CPU bottleneck ?

My Windows install is completly fresh btw.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"Is there something he maybe have done to his GPU in terms of overclocking compared to mine?"
-faster ram
-more effective cpu cooler for use with the 10900 & 10900K's exclusive Thermal Velocity Boost, thus yielding higher boost clocks
-3rd party software installed, or lack thereof... the fewer software apps, the smoother the PC will operate
-drivers
-the cooler the gpu runs, the higher the average boost clocks will be, bar power limits, anyway
-game stored on an SSD
And so on...

At 1080p low, the cpu and ram frequency are making a difference, as well as whatever other unmentioned changes they made... Perhaps they'd be willing to share that info with you?

Videos like these are just annoying because it causes people to set their expectations too high. That's an extreme end of the spectrum most shouldn't expect to see.

Solution

Kkehlet88

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
-faster ram
-drivers
-game stored on an SSD
And so on...

At 1080p low, the cpu and ram frequency are making a difference, as well as whatever other unmentioned changes they made... Perhaps they'd be willing to share that info with you?

Videos like these are just annoying because it causes people to set their expectations too high. That's an extreme end of the spectrum most shouldn't expect to see.

I thought that Thermal velocity boost was a part of Turbo Boost 3.0 ?

But is there something else I can try to improve just a little ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I thought that Thermal velocity boost was a part of Turbo Boost 3.0 ?
Negative, they are actually separate features.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...10900-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz.html

But is there something else I can try to improve just a little ?
You need to know EXACTLY what they did with their OS and bios settings, software and drivers installed, etc., not just the hardware config, as that's only a part of the whole puzzle.