Question Asus 4090 ROG Strix flickers once when trying to boot up then nothing else happens.

May 3, 2023
Hello all, this is my first post on here just wondering if I could get some feedback. So for starters I used to really into computers back in the day and finally started to get back into them in ten 2023. So I ordered all my parts:

Mobo : asus b550-a
CPU: ryzen 7 5800x
Ram :Corsair vengeance sl32gb x2
PSU: segotep850W
GPU: XFX 7900XTX
AIO : Corsair i150

So I got everything built and put together and everything was running fine just like it should… then I came to realize (with me being a little bit behind on technology) I found out that I could buy a nvida graphics card while using AMD mobo and CPU… I thought for some reason it had to be the same brand which is why I went with the 7900 XTX in the first place. So after I found that I could go with nvdia I returned the 7900 XTX and I purchased the ASUS 4090 ROG STRIX OC Edition card ALONG with a thermaltake 1000watt PSU (that does have support for the new 40 series cards) just to be safe on the wattage side. So when the two parts came in, I was happy as hell and went to install them and everything went well…. I used the new connector that comes with the new 1000 watt power supply and plugged that into the graphics card and then went to go hit the power button on the case.. and the lights on the 4090 just flashed once and that was it… nothing else.. not even the red light on the card. So after I tried making sure everything was connected and double checked everything was. It was even more odd I tried to use the 4 pciE cable adapter that comes with the 4090 and the card still only flashed once BUT the card did show a red light. So after that I tried to plug everything into my old 850w PSU and hit the power button and the 4090 and PC didn’t even do ANYTHiNG… I have since requested a RMA on both items just to be safe because I paid 2 grand for the graphics card and I know my system was working just fine before hand which is weird but then I got to thinking…. Which is where I may need your guys opinions, I do have the 8 pin connector plugged into the motherboard for the CPU power but I didn’t have power plugged into the 4 pin connector to the left 8 pin… do you think that may have caused the graphics card to not have enough power to boot up fully?….Because I only have the 8 pin connection for the 7900xtx and it was working just fine and I was think that was a pretty power hungry card too?So after I plugged everything back in the way I had it like all my cables the way I had it when I pulled out my 7900xtx to send that card off to return it I finally got the PC to boot up and all my fans and AIO to turn on like normal… anything thoughts or anything would be great on what you guys think…. I appreciate it … I was so excited to game on the 4090 😂 now I have to wait a week

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Let me see if I can summarize this right.

1. Replaced vid card and PS, and it stopped working
2. Tried putting back in old PS, and it still did not work
3. Inserted Radeon 7900xtx, and it finally worked (did you use the new PS with the card, or the old one)?

Am I following this right?

May 3, 2023
see I had already sent back my 7900xtx for the 4090 so I didn’t have another card to try … but anyways after I took out of the new PSU I bought and the 4090 I installed my old PSU I had and plugged it all back in the way I had it minus the 7900 of course or the 4090 and I at least got the motherboard to post and all the fans turn on so that kind of made me believe that the card was bad… so now fast forward to yesterday I got the new power supply and new 4090 as the just sent me new ones and plugged it all in just as I did in addition to also plugging in the 4 pin connector on the motherboard and the 4090 turned and everything is running like normal and I am as happy as a clam. So I’m assuming it was just a bad graphics card?… or a bad PSU… I didn’t think to try and just only installing the new power supply first. But it’s all working now. My wife is so pissed I spent two grand on this….

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
see I had already sent back my 7900xtx for the 4090 so I didn’t have another card to try … but anyways after I took out of the new PSU I bought and the 4090 I installed my old PSU I had and plugged it all back in the way I had it minus the 7900 of course or the 4090 and I at least got the motherboard to post and all the fans turn on so that kind of made me believe that the card was bad… so now fast forward to yesterday I got the new power supply and new 4090 as the just sent me new ones and plugged it all in just as I did in addition to also plugging in the 4 pin connector on the motherboard and the 4090 turned and everything is running like normal and I am as happy as a clam. So I’m assuming it was just a bad graphics card?… or a bad PSU… I didn’t think to try and just only installing the new power supply first. But it’s all working now. My wife is so pissed I spent two grand on this….
Oh, so you got this computer working now?

May 3, 2023
Oh, so you got this computer working now?
Yes I did. I just RMA the PSU and 4090 and slapped in the two new ones and it worked, but I also did connect the 4 pin connector on the motherboard?.. not sure if that made any difference at all because I believe that’s power for the CPU?

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Yes I did. I just RMA the PSU and 4090 and slapped in the two new ones and it worked, but I also did connect the 4 pin connector on the motherboard?.. not sure if that made any difference at all because I believe that’s power for the CPU?
Maybe, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it! It's working fine, just leave it.

Now you need to do something to make the wife happy. On that I wish you good luck. 😁