Question Asus 4G router Fail over

Jul 12, 2022
Hello,

I have two Asus 4G routers :
  • Asus 4G-AC86U
  • Asus 4G-AX56
Both have different SIM cards from different carriers.

I use the first one as main source of internet as it allows me to connect an external 4G antenna to it.

Here's the question :
Can I set up the second one as a fail over so that when there is an issue with the first carrier, then the second router acts as a backup solution and provides continuity (even if there are few seconds/minutes delay), and when the first carrier works again, then the main router takes back control so to speak ?

I tried to do it but it seems there is an issue with IPs but I can't solve it.

I know this works when using a 4G router as fail over for ADSL/VDSL/fiber router, but does it work for a main 4G router ?

Thank you for your help !

Luke

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I have two Asus 4G routers :
  • Asus 4G-AC86U
  • Asus 4G-AX56
Both have different SIM cards from different carriers.

I use the first one as main source of internet as it allows me to connect an external 4G antenna to it.

Here's the question :
Can I set up the second one as a fail over so that when there is an issue with the first carrier, then the second router acts as a backup solution and provides continuity (even if there are few seconds/minutes delay), and when the first carrier works again, then the main router takes back control so to speak ?

I tried to do it but it seems there is an issue with IPs but I can't solve it.

I know this works when using a 4G router as fail over for ADSL/VDSL/fiber router, but does it work for a main 4G router ?

Thank you for your help !

Luke
I would ask the Merlin firmware folks over at Smallnetbuilder.com -- https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/
Merlin firmware does support dual WAN failover, but I don't know if the 4G version of the Asus router is supported.

Can't say for sure but I think it will suffer the same issues as it does for other types of internet connection. Key problem is what does 'down' mean. Enterprise connection run actual routing protocols to detect outage. If you unplug the internet the Asus will easily switch but what happens if you are getting say 50 percent packet loss..is that down. I found it was easier to manually swap.