Asus' 512GB SSD Laptop; World First

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]Now if only they boasted performance like an Intel SSD...[/citation]

or, if only intel had a 512gb ssd...

You're basically complaining that the newest, biggest and best garbage truck doesn't drive like a Ferrari...when it wasn't designed to. It was designed to be big.

Anyway, this is more an issue of the type of flash chips used than a battle between companies' abilities.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
the price is not sweet, it is the exact opposite.
"According to Asus, the new unit will be priced at $1649"
that price on an intel ATOM?!

i'll just get a netbook and duct tape a 2.5" external hdd on it.

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
[citation][nom]mrubermonkey[/nom]Manufacturing costs by components:$349 - Netbook$1300 - 512 GB SSD[/citation]

Asus must be loosing alot of money if they charge the same price as it costs to manufacture!!!!

Do you think maybe they have some exclusive software that only works for this laptop that they use to recoup the costs?

I NEVER heard of a company selling laptops charging the same as the manufacturing costs!!!!!

Claimintru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
You're basically complaining that the newest, biggest and best garbage truck doesn't drive like a Ferrari...when it wasn't designed to. It was designed to be big.

The whole point of SSD and the reason people pay a premium = huge speed difference. Without that speed difference SSD is useless. Power consumption isn't loads different, and if you're stupid enough to be dropping a laptop/netbook you shouldn't have wasted money on them. If you're looking for capacity and high speed, it doesn't really exist short of arrays

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Claimintru[/nom]The whole point of SSD and the reason people pay a premium = huge speed difference. Without that speed difference SSD is useless. Power consumption isn't loads different, and if you're stupid enough to be dropping a laptop/netbook you shouldn't have wasted money on them. If you're looking for capacity and high speed, it doesn't really exist short of arrays[/citation]

Who said anything about dropping it?

Anyway, by your logic, we shouldn't have ssd's at all. In fact we should all be saving our files to tape drives as primary storage. Those damn hard drives are slow and break too often!

williamoss

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I just purchased a Sony Z Series laptop with 256gb SSD drive, carbon fiber casing. It was expensive, $2250 shipping included, but oh man it is sooooo sweet. SSD drives are the way to go. My old Toshiba became so hot after 30 minutes it was unbearable.
-William @ OptionSpreadStrategies.com

Status
Not open for further replies.