[SOLVED] Asus 64 bit computer will rarely start. (Solved ).

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
My old ASUS 64 bit computer will only start up about once per week. If I shut it down and try later, or tomorrow, it will not boot.
However, If I try it days later (or better still, a week), it will usually boot up and run normally. I am writing on it now.
I suspect the power supply is faulty, however, this one is only about 12 - 18 months old.
I have a spare power supply on the bench.
Should I swap it out and try to see if that fixes it?

Jim.

jim@jim-LinuxMint-ASUS:~$ inxi -b
System:
Host: jim-LinuxMint-ASUS Kernel: 5.3.0-45-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: MATE 1.22.2 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX v: Rev X.0x
serial: <root required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1101 date: 06/08/2012
CPU:
Dual Core: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 type: MCP speed: 1599 MHz
min/max: 1603/2936 MHz
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 v: 2.1 Mesa 19.2.8
Network:
Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 525.39 GiB used: 80.67 GiB (15.4%)
Info:
Processes: 167 Uptime: 44m Memory: 7.74 GiB used: 2.81 GiB (36.3%)
Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32
jim@jim-LinuxMint-ASUS:~$

Last edited:
Solution
I now have the Infinity power supply fitted. The computer started up immediately. I sure appears that we have found the original problem and fixed it.
I tried to fit the FSP, but there is some difference in the 20 + 4 pin main computer plug and socket.
The common +4 part of the full 24 pin plug does not fit.
I hope that makes sense.
I will try to find out why later. Unless you can tell me now?

Otherwise, this is an excellent outcome.
Thanks again.

I will mark the thread as solved.

Jim.

Just be aware... that infinity atx p4-460 is absolute garbage too. It is really old and will only output 216W on the +12V rail. You can effectively call that a 216W PSU... +5V rail outputs a lot of power, but that was heavily used in the...
My old ASUS 64 bit computer will only start up about once per week. If I shut it down and try later, or tomorrow, it will not boot.
However, If I try it days later (or better still, a week), it will usually boot up and run normally. I am writing on it now.
I suspect the power supply is faulty, however, this one is only about 12 - 18 months old.
I have a spare power supply on the bench.
Should I swap it out and try to see if that fixes it?

Jim.

jim@jim-LinuxMint-ASUS:~$ inxi -b
System:
Host: jim-LinuxMint-ASUS Kernel: 5.3.0-45-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: MATE 1.22.2 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX v: Rev X.0x
serial: <root required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1101 date: 06/08/2012
CPU:
Dual Core: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 type: MCP speed: 1599 MHz
min/max: 1603/2936 MHz
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 v: 2.1 Mesa 19.2.8
Network:
Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 525.39 GiB used: 80.67 GiB (15.4%)
Info:
Processes: 167 Uptime: 44m Memory: 7.74 GiB used: 2.81 GiB (36.3%)
Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32
jim@jim-LinuxMint-ASUS:~$

You managed to list everything but the PSU.

When you turn off/on the PC, are you just using the power off in the OS or front panel or are you actually doing this AND cutting the power to the PSU?

I turn the computer off by using the normal shut down procedure by clicking on Menu >Quit>Shut down. Thatis, in the operating system.

Ok. And that's it, right? You don't then flip the switch on the back of the PC, at the wall, power strip, etc.?

The power supply is a CASECOM CC-550W 12CM.

Ok. Well... That's an absolute garbage power supply in the first place. 12 to 18 months old or not, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Regardless of whether the problem is the PSU or the motherboard, you need to toss that thing in the bin.

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Ok. And that's it, right? You don't then flip the switch on the back of the PC, at the wall, power strip, etc.?

No.

Ok. Well... That's an absolute garbage power supply in the first place. 12 to 18 months old or not, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Regardless of whether the problem is the PSU or the motherboard, you need to toss that thing in the bin.

Ok, good information. It was given to me as replacement for one I put in a friends computer. He bought it online.
I will now see what I have in stock. I will post back after I change it, if I have one that will suit.
I have a small collection of second hand ones I have salvaged.
If none suit, I will order after asking here for a recommended brand and capacity etc.

Many thanks for the replies.

Jim.

No.

Ok, good information. It was given to me as replacement for one I put in a friends computer. He bought it online.
I will now see what I have in stock. I will post back after I change it, if I have one that will suit.
I have a small collection of second hand ones I have salvaged.
If none suit, I will order after asking here for a recommended brand and capacity etc.

Many thanks for the replies.

Jim.

Are any of them actual brand name, quality units or are they all like that Casecom?

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Never heard of infinity. But FSP makes decent power supplies in general, so i'd go with that one.

350w is more than enough, even though the 12v rail may be much weaker then 350w depending on the design and age of the unit.

Very good, thanks again.
The FSP has a label with Noise Killer, so maybe it will be quieter than the one that I am replacing.
I will swap it out today and report back.

Jim.

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I now have the Infinity power supply fitted. The computer started up immediately. I sure appears that we have found the original problem and fixed it.
I tried to fit the FSP, but there is some difference in the 20 + 4 pin main computer plug and socket.
I hope that makes sense.

Edit:
This site suggests that the +4 component can be left disconnected.
Is it ok to do so and try starting the computer with just the 20 pin component connected?
(and of course, the other plugs connected).

Thanks again.

Jim.

Last edited:
I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again.

Jim.

Just be aware... that infinity atx p4-460 is absolute garbage too. It is really old and will only output 216W on the +12V rail. You can effectively call that a 216W PSU... +5V rail outputs a lot of power, but that was heavily used in the Pentium III era... yeah that's old.

In my honest opinion, you can chuck that in the bin too... it's garbage, no better than the CASECOM... in fact, from the specs looks even worse than that.

That FSP should be better, but I don't see how the 24 pin can be different than standard and not fit... can you post a picture with the connector and also the PSU label?

Last edited:
Solution

That's not a 20+4 pin plug... that 4 pin is the 4pin 12V EPS connector for your CPU... you need to plug that into the CPU connector on your motherboard.

That FSP has an older 20pin ATX motherboard connector and doesn't have the additional 4 pin... it should work just fine with the 20 pin plugged into the 20+4pin motherboard ATX connector.
That's still a really old PSU, but I'd trust it over that Infinity junk.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Jim Thompson45

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
That's not a 20+4 pin plug... that 4 pin is the 4pin 12V EPS connector for your CPU... you need to plug that into the CPU connector on your motherboard.

That FSP has an older 20pin ATX motherboard connector and doesn't have the additional 4 pin... it should work just fine with the 20 pin plugged into the 20+4pin motherboard ATX connector.

Ok, that's good. I will swap it out and give it a go, based on your warning about the "Infinity" power supply.
Thanks,

Jim.