ASUS 780ti Causing Crashes (I think.) Help!

denny1337

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I am running the following:

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 motherboard
ASUS 780ti 2gb
AMD fx-8150 CPU (Black Edition)
A Rosewill Lightning 800W Modular PSU and 16gb of RAM.

I ran the 780ti on this build for 2 weeks to a month's time, and it ran great. Excellent, even. All was fine and dandy! One day my computer crashes, so I'm weird-ed out to see a CPU fan error. Sure enough, it's dead. I replace the CPU fan with the Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL, and it fits perfectly. I start up my PC and around 20 - 30 minutes later it crashes. Just powers down completely. The PSU died, so I replaced that too, just tonight. After replacing the PSU, I'm still getting random power-downs. I've updated the BIOS on the motherboard, I've (obviously) replaced the PSU, and I've made sure the GPU is plugged into the PSU properly. Any help is greatly appreciated, considering I have no idea if it's the card even causing the crashes. I ran an ASUS 660 PRIOR to running this card without any issues. This and now the PSU are the only things I've changed about my build. Please help!

Solution

disassemble your pc and run it outside the...

brarboy

Honorable
Make sure to check that you are providing enough current to your gpu by connecting one 6 pin and one 8 pin (6+2) to your gpu. To check power supply, see the sticker on your psu and look for +12v CHECK HERE and in that column make sure you have current value more than 42A(Amps). Keep posted.

denny1337

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

under the +12v column it says the MAX. Current is 66A. The PSU is a Rosewill Lightning-800. It's an 800W PSU, and I have an 8pin (6+2) and a 6pin connected to the card from two different PCi-E cables. It's the Modular design, it comes with a PCI-E already attached to the PSU which I switched out for another PCI cable in order to see if that was my problem. So far, to no avail.

brarboy

Honorable

disassemble your pc and run it outside the case, see if it runs alright? If yes, your mobo might be shorting. And plug all your cables firmly and make sure all hardware are connected firmly.

Solution

denny1337

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I tried my hand at switching back to my 660 card.. It has to be the motherboard, because as soon as I loaded into a game, the computer shut down again...