[SOLVED] Asus 970 Pro Gaming/Aura Mobo won't recognise my M.2

Skankie

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi Guys,

Any help much appreciated. I built a budget system for my workplace, as I was able to pick up a bundle of mobo, 16gb ram, cpu and cooler all for £50 locally.

I bought the cheapest m.2 ssd I could find purely as a OS boot drive, after making sure it was compatible with my system using PC Part Picker.

SSD:
Western Digital Green 240 GB Internal SSD M.2 SATA
Mobo:
Asus 970 Pro Gaming/Aura
CPU:
AMD FX 6100

Problem:
Mobo does not recognise SSD in the bios, and neither does Windows when selecting a drive to install the OS on (it is the only drive plugged in)

Troubleshooting:
I performed a bios update to the latest release and used UEFI motherboard function to update, still not recognised.

Thought I would ask here, before I simply go and buy a standard SSD drive, as I'm not sure what my problem is since there are no compatibility issues using PC Part Picker.

I'm not a pro builder as I'm sure you can tell, hence why I'm here asking for help!

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Your motherboard supports nvme(pcie) M.2 drives only.
WD green M.2 is sata. Not supported.

You can install it with m.2 sata adapter.

c87e70ddf82bdd7aaffd5cb30ceeb04b_big.jpg

Don't rely on pcpartpicker compatibility check. It's not always correct.

Skankie

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Your motherboard supports nvme(pcie) M.2 drives only.
WD green M.2 is sata. Not supported.

You can install it with m.2 sata adapter.

c87e70ddf82bdd7aaffd5cb30ceeb04b_big.jpg

Don't rely on pcpartpicker compatibility check. It's not always correct.

Thanks Skynet, that's a big help.

I wondered if this may have been the issue, but as a novice builder I've always put a lot of faith in PC Part Picker and this seemed like a very straightforward issue that you would expect it to detect in regards to compatibility. I will just proceed in ordering a standard 2.5" ssd.