Asus 980 Ti Strix Heat Pipes touching G Connector

homie44

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Hi all,

I have a Micro-ATX Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5 motherboard. I want to use SLI, but it appears that the second 980 Ti is touching the G Connector.

I would like to know whether it's going to be a problem, meaning that the plastic of the G connector would melt. I've attached two high resolution pictures of the 980 Ti Strix touching the G connector.

image.png

image.png

Solution
I know they do not get any hotter than any other gpu heat pipes and i can touch mine and they are NO WHERE near hot enough to melt plastic. Those heat pipes dont get hot enough either to melt plastic on his gpu's. So again no those heat pipes will not hurt that touching the little tab there. If it makes the OP feel better it looks like he could easily trim that tab down out of the way also. For comparison i own 2 strix 1080's and also own 2 780ti classifieds which run hot especially with the 1300mhz overclock thats on them and neither the 1080's or the 780ti's get hot enough to melt plastic. If they did get that hot then those heat pipes would not be able to be as close as they are to the plastic shrouds on gpu's in general. Also OP...

homie44

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Well, assuming the card won't start to sag. In terms of temperature only, will it ever be a problem?

fedefury

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016
temp wise it is no issue at all. It wont affect the card or the piece unless it hits the 80 degrees mark. Then you should be worried

homie44

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Well, but this card does hit the 80 degrees mark. It's an Asus 980 TI Strix that draws up to 375W of power.

fedefury

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016
then i do not advise it at all. Bring it to your local computer store maybe they can mod it in a way. The only fix i know is it get a new mobo. This will help with spacing, especially if it is ATX sized

fedefury

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016
they will for sure. MSI Heat pipes and heatpipes in general get very hot. I know, its confusing because of the "GPU temp" but that temp does not display the temp from the heat pipes.

I know they do not get any hotter than any other gpu heat pipes and i can touch mine and they are NO WHERE near hot enough to melt plastic. Those heat pipes dont get hot enough either to melt plastic on his gpu's. So again no those heat pipes will not hurt that touching the little tab there. If it makes the OP feel better it looks like he could easily trim that tab down out of the way also. For comparison i own 2 strix 1080's and also own 2 780ti classifieds which run hot especially with the 1300mhz overclock thats on them and neither the 1080's or the 780ti's get hot enough to melt plastic. If they did get that hot then those heat pipes would not be able to be as close as they are to the plastic shrouds on gpu's in general. Also OP does not have a msi video card he has a asus strix. To be completely honest if it was my setup i would trim the plastic tab that sticks out anyway as i wouldn't want it touching but thats just because im anal

Solution

TRENDING THREADS