ASUS 990FX R2.0 AM3+ - No Post Red CPU Light

Flignats

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Hello - I'm hoping some people have advice for this issue.

My rig:

• Mobo: ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    CPU: AMD FX8350
    Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060
    Ram: 32GB G.Skill DDR3 1866 memory (8gb 4x)
    PSU: OEM 700w Power Supply
    HD: SSD drive
I had another mobo: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Socket AM3+ and case. I bought the Sabertooth mobo and an NZXT case. I took out all the components and put them into the new case with new mobo.

The rig starts (no screen) and about 5 seconds later the CPU light on the mobo blinks and the rig shuts off. I believe it never gets past the POST process.

I removed all components except for the CPU, Graphics Card, and PSU. Still the same problem, starts, cpu light blinks a little bit later, rig shuts down.

Both the 24pin and 8 pin connectors were securely set in place.
The CPU was set and locked in place.
No pins on the CPU appeared to be bent or missing.

Does the CPU cooler need to be put in place for it to get past this stage? I had one set, but after the post process failed I removed that as well and tried to see if it booted up further, no such luck.

Do I just have to RMA the board? Everything was working with my old mobo.

krazykev101 May 31, 2016, 2:01 PM
ASUS tech support doesn't even help you, they just keep pushing you for an RMA. BUT THE REAL PROBLEM FOR ALL IS the 3 pin connector for the cpu . That's the culprit, You need to NEVER connect to the cpu power 3 pin female connector to the mobo 3 pin cpu fan male connector . You have to use the 3 pin female connector from the CPU on the 4 pin male connector just to the right of it on the MOBO called the cpu fan optional, it is a 4 pin male, but you use the 3 pin female cpu connector there and the embedded slot that places it in the right direction IS USED leaving 1 pin unused> so spread the word...the 3 pin male connector on the sabertooth FX990 is useless.

I did initially connect to the wrong connector, as mentioned above. Would that kill the mobo?

Edit: Last 4 digits on the mobo are 2501

TRENDING THREADS