Question Asus A5M97 R2.0 with new Radeon RX 590 ? Working ??

Dec 27, 2019
Hi,

I wanted to upgrade my GPU to the best one which still would fit for my existing system ( AMD FX 8530, 16 GB D3 RAM) before I need to upgrade all parts some time in the future, want to use it as long as possible. So I decided to replace my Radeon R9 380 with a Powercolor Radeon RX 590. Problem is: when I plug it in, the fans of the 590 start working, but I do not get any picture at all, via DVI nor Displayport, doesnt matter. When i plug my R9 380 back in, systems starts and runs fine, I get a picture and everything. Retried the RX590, no picture, then retried the R9 380, works fine again.

So, its not a cable or monitor thing, methinks. I thought maybe the Mainboard Bios, but its the latest as I can see it, at least according to Asus HP (Version 2603), so no Bios update possible.

May it be that my Mainboard cannot support the RX 590 ??

Just to add: my powersupply is a bequiet! 600 W, and yes, I made sure that the power connectors were connected to the RX 590. ^^

Any ideas ?

thx alot

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
try a different PCIe slot.

Also maybe try using DDU to get rid of previous drivers so that when you put in the new card and boot up, windows will properly use generic drivers and download temp one's and work that way so you can then install updated drivers yourself from website.

also possible you got a faulty card.

Who knows?

Dec 27, 2019
try a different PCIe slot.

Also maybe try using DDU to get rid of previous drivers so that when you put in the new card and boot up, windows will properly use generic drivers and download temp one's and work that way so you can then install updated drivers yourself from website.

also possible you got a faulty card.

Who knows?
Well afaik this MB has only one PCI slot.I see no other port where i can put the card in.

Dec 27, 2019
Thank you for the tips, m8. Well, now i returned it to the shop, just to be on the safe site. I do not think its a driver issue, because i just swapped one radeon with another one, which was never any problem ....at least in the past. I think the card was broken, because i did get no picture at all, not even bios screen, nevermind using dvi or DP. Well, i ll see when i get my sapphire rx 590, hope that one works then.

Thx again

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
With your old card in delete your drivers.
Shut down your computer. Swap cards. Boot up. Use keystrokes to log in to windows if you don't see anything. Wait a few minuets after keystroking your log in. If nothing, reboot again and see if it loads with a picture.

I had a very similar issue with switching from an r7 260 to an r9 fury and this was my fix.

Another option is to change your native resolution to 1080p and see if that shows a screen with the new card if you're still having issues. The card and board should work together.