Asus A7A266 IDE Corruption issues please hlp?

G

I recenty got me a A7a266 mobo, t-bird 1.4 and 256MB DDR ram, i seem to be running into some issues..

OS = win98se
2 x SCSI on Adapactec 2940
2 x IDE HDD 18,40GB
2 x IDE CD-ROM, Ricoh CDRW, 50xCDR

for some reason there appears to be read errors on my IDE devices.. I can see the volume label of the cd and all it's contents, but as soon as I start the autorun... It causes a illegal exception.

and also copying data from the IDE across to the SCSI... It read a couple of megs then givs me read errors... The drives worked fine with my P3-933 ?? np.

Also when win98 reboots my system hangs on the POST after detecting the IDE devices.. When I go into the BIOS and set the UDMA to disable on the drives.. it seems to work a little better.. But still causes problems when reading lots of data.

This is really not good.. I can't understant this.. I'm going to ugrade the bios tonight to see of there's any imprpvement.

Does anyone know where I can get drivers for the IDE ? or updated drivers for the ALiMagik1 chipset ? maybe win98se doesn't have the right drivers.

All IRQ seems to be no-clashing..

thnkx
WaY

G

2 possibilities:
1) PSU. You've got 4 HD, and a watty processor. I hope that's at least a 350W supply you're running....

2) Cruddy VIA drivers. I've been holding off upgrading my old MPV3/K6-2 system, as it only started working properly once Win98 came out, with integrated MPV3 support. The VIA drivers I had at the time for Win95OSR2 were buggy in the extreme. I ended up uninstalling them and running with the default (slow) Windows driver. Try disabling DMA everywhere.

G

hyundai DDR SDRAM not happy with my A7A, So i Got the Micron 256 PC2100 and this fixed the problem...

G

hyundai DDR SDRAM not happy with my A7A, So i Got the Micron 256 PC2100 and this fixed the problem...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your the second A7A guy in here that said his cheap DDR would not work, that's why I always recommend Crucial. Glad the third party Micron solved your problem. Crucial uses Micron as well, as they are owned by Micron.

Video killed my Radio Card!

TRENDING THREADS