Asus a7n8x and radeon 9700 woes

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Hi All
I finally got my new system built, but now that its all together, i have a few probs i wondered if anyone had any suggestions towards.

my first problem is that i installed the drivers for my radeon 9700 pro, and in the device manager under display adapters, two radeon cards show up. ?????? wtf???? One of them is labeled primary, and one of them is labeled secondary! The secondary one seems to run on a pci interface, but i have no pci cards installed. It says pci bus 3 device 0 function 1. Anyways, as for now, I have disabled the secondary device, i hope it doesnt screw up my gaming or slow down my system! Will it harm my new comps performance? Why is it there?

My second problem is when my machine boots and goes in to windows, for the first 30 seconds or so the machine is unresponsive and it wont let me open anything... then after that like 30 seconds or so, everything is fine... I looked at my windows task manager, and it seems that in the processes column, there is a name called system idle process , thats used by system and it is using 99 % of my cpu at all times? There is nothing else running either, just what windows loads. How can i fix that. After I get in to windows, i cant do anything, until the system wants to let me. Does any one else run win xp pro, can u please telll me if your "system idle process" uses 99 % of the cpu?

Thanks for your time.

<b>Hey All! Check out my new <A HREF="http://www3.sympatico.ca/rdykens" target="_new"><font color=red> webpage </font color=red></A>dealing with hardware / software support and many computer tweaks!</b>

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
oh ya sorry i forgot to add my system specs.

Here are my system specs:

Asus a7n8x deluxe
amd barton 2500 @ 1900 mhz
maxtor 30 gig hdd
fdd
lg cd rom and cd writer
radeon 9700 pro
antec 430 true power

<b>Hey All! Check out my new <A HREF="http://www3.sympatico.ca/rdykens" target="_new"><font color=red> webpage </font color=red></A>dealing with hardware / software support and many computer tweaks!</b>

sterlon

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2003
Yes system idle in general will run at 99%of your resources when nothing else is running. If you go into the preformance tab in the task manager you will see the actual cpu and ram uses. I hope this helps. Oh and killing idle process is a bad idea. It may crash your system.

OH crap its on fire again

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
thank you for your reply

what else could be causing the system slowness off of boot up?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
The system idle process does not actually use any cpu resorces (as i understand). I don't know what your knowledge of cpu's is (so bear with me if you are some processor genius) however, your cpu will always stay at the same speed, therefore if you have a 2ghz cpu and some program requires let's say 200mhz then the system idle will show up as 99%, this means that 99% of your cpu resorces are FREE not being used thus 1800mhz are doing nothing.
Now about your card problem, i forget where but i beleive i have heard of it before. I sugest you check ati's troubleshooting section at their website (if you haven't you should do this before you post anything). Now finally about your lock ups (temporary) is your computer using any of its intigrated NIC (eithernet) cards?
If not i may have a solution, just post if you do, i don't want to tell you how to fix it if you don't need to know. However beleive that your cards are searching for a network (trying to recieve an ip adress) thus the solution may be to assign them a static ip adress. But this is just a stab in the dark.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Got the same graphic problem, my A7N8X Deluxe system detects a second Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 Pro on PCI. I also disable it because I can't remove it. Tried reformat hdd and reinstall windows but no good. Don't bother low level formatting because it'll cause me more than 8 hours and what if the outcome is the same? But it won't cause any problem on your system performance. I'm trying to find a solution and I'll post them up if I got any.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
ok now i am sure i have heard of this problem before, i checked ati's website and found nothing. Latter i will check asus's website to see if i find anything. I am a little worried because i was planing to build a system with an a7n8x dlx and 9700pro. If any of you figure out a solution to this problem, please post on this forem or pm me. Do both of you have updated drivers and bios's?

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
hi guys i have the 1002 A final bios. I use the ati catalyst 3.1 drivers. The dual vga card is not bothering me as bad as this $#%^$%^& lagging off the start problem.. I AM using the onboard lan, to answer your question. It seems i have narrowed down this problem a bit more. as soon as i get in to windows and try to run an application, like control panel, or device manager, the comp hangs .. i try to end task on whatever is open,.... and time after time i get a rundll error. I hope this helps at all, i would really liek to be able to fix this problem. It seems to get to use my pc, i must click on an application and have it hang then after that i get to finally use my pc.

:*(

Rob

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
as for the radeon 9700 problem, so you ddont think that it will harm my gaming or 3d speed at all? I disabled the secondary card in the device manager.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Rob

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
The exact error i get is a rundll32 error when i try to end task on whatever is hanging.

Rob

shaydim

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
If you read the owners manual is says the second adapter is for duel monitor support. You can hook your tv or another monitor via the digital port to the card and use 2 monitors at a time...thats why its there.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Alright....so heres your issue.......The A7N8X Has 2 NIC Controllers.......and there most likely both set to USE DHCP, which is enabled by defualt.....whats happening seeing how u said ur using 1 of them, is that the other one keep trying to get an IP, and evetually it gives up and uses the defualt Private Address of the NIC itself....most likely a 169.x.x.x # or whatever......so what ur gonna have to do is EITHER disable the unused NIC Controller (which i wouldnt recomend) or give it a SPECIFIED IP Adress......like 192.168.0.100, and make thr gateway 192.168.0.1, and leave the Subnet as is, it should auto fill it, and dont fill anything in for the DNS...leave 'em blank.......now ur set...

As for the Radeon 9700 showing 2 devices....thats becasue its a DUAL DISPLAY Video Card.....so it thinks theres 2 devices.......its kinda like a 2 in 1 combo card.....DONT disable it, as it'll render ur 2nd display usesless.....its not a PROBLEM, its supposed to be like that.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
ok well i am going to go home and do a fresh install of win xp pro, and fill in those values you said.. but i dont know if it will work,,,, because i disabled the 2nd lan port last night, and it didnt make any difference... :(

So that kinda shoots your theory, but i am desperate and will try anything. Look back here metalrocker for my correspondance, i will post what happens when i get home from work.

Thank you for your reply.

Rob

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That "secondary display" is simply a way for the driver to let the OS controll the second monitor through the second monitor output, independantly of the first. It's supposed to be there, it makes adjusting a second display easier. Your card DOES support two monitors, didn't you know that?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING STUPID, THINK! The "secondary display adapter" is a virtual display adapter that allows your second monitor output to work independantly of the first! No, you don't HAVE to use two monitors, but just in case you ever want to, you know the feature is there!

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
OK, get it. So it is normal that I got a secondary display card. hmm... I remember last time when I post this question there are replies said it was my secondary display driver which causes my "Motherboard Resource" error saying I'm having a duplicated device running. So that's not true (luckily I never listen to them and go low-level formatting my hdd and wait for 8 hours) so basically what cause that problem in your mind? You think may be the Dual LAN? (the other "double" devices I have on A7N8X Deluxe)

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)" means it can't replace the driver file because that file is in use. Try starting it up in safe mode maybe?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
I beleive on the a7n8x dlx you can disable the onboard features from the bios (i'm not sure because i don't own one) if this is the case i would simply disable the nic card that is not in use. I Had a similar problem in win 98se (now i'm on xp pro) where the computer would seem to hang in a black screen for about a minute right after the little win 98 picture would come up, i hope this is the case or else this might be a hard problem to solve.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
well the verdict is in guys,,, you know what it was? If i powered up my dsl modem, then turned on my comp, it would hang. So now i power on my machine and then turn on the modem after its in to the desk top, and it works great.. Hows that for strange?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That may or may not work. You don't know for certain what device is causing the problem. It might work if that is the device causeing the problem.

His problem is this: When he tries to upgrade a driver, Windows tries to replace a driver file. But because the file is in use, it can't. The best way around that problem is to prevent windows from loading the driver at boot. And one way to do that is to boot into safe mode. Then upgrade the driver from there.

AfroGeek1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
The dual driver situation is NORMAL! I had no problems with the ASUS board and the Raedon. They work fine. The 9700 pro kinda reminds me of a Hyperthreading CPU. There is the Radeo 9700 pro and then there is the Radeon 9700 pro secondary. There is an easy way to fix this. Let me know if you need help.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
I solved the problem of the comp hanging, that was my main concern.. and I am very happy now, thank you all for your great efforts.. I am not overly concerned about the video cards... Its not hurting me, (at least i dont think so) so i am happy.

Rob

<b>The pentium 2 I once adored is dead! Long live my barton excruciatingly ripping 700 fps in soldier of fortune!!! :)</b>