Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
System Specs
MOBO: ASUS A7N8X DELUXE
CPU: ATHLON XP 2600+
VIDEO: NVIDIA GEFORCE2 PRO
RAM: 512DDR CORSAIR 2700 CAS2
BIOS: 1002
FANS: 3 FANS (2 REAR 1 FRONT NOT INCLUDING HEAT SINK)

The computer seems to "Shut off" completely once a process uses above 90% of the Processor. Process prority is set at normal, and that is the only "main" process running. Not including the normal WINXP Background processes.

Bios are set at near default.

Major changed settings listed below.
FSB SPREAD SPECTREM: 50% (WILL NOT CHANGE BACK TO DEFAULT)
CPU MULTIPLE: 12.5x166
FSB: 166

Btw, I'm not overclocking or adjusted any voltage settings. I'm not trying to get faster speed, I just want it to function normally (without shutting down, when using alot of processor power.)

Also, MBM (Motherboard Monitor), ASUS Probe, and BIO Monitor all give me way different temps. BIOs reads at 160F, while MBM and ASUS range from 90-125F. This is puzzling to me.

Give me some suggestions.

photojoe

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
merely bumping it, since Im going to bed. Sorry, if this isn't allowed.

SYSTEM SPECS
CPU: ATHLON XP 2600 (Beastly speeds!)
MOBO: ASUS A7N8X DELUXE (Nefarious Nforce!)
VID: GEFORCE2 PRO (BAH HURCULES!!!!!!)

photojoe

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Antec ATX12V (400Watts) I believe.

SYSTEM SPECS

youpu

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2003
hello photojoe

i have the same probleme with same mobo.
my pc freeze all the time, i cant install windows. :(
have you msn or irc to chat easier ?
bye.

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Ok, first of all this board has an issue with some faulty temperature readings. Make sure that your board isn't really overheating. Install asus probe from your driver cd and check temps from that reading to your bios temps. Secondly, reach in and carefully touch your heatsink, does it feel hot? Make sure when you installed this you used thermal grease, not too much, not to little, and you have a case fan on it. Try leaving your case open with a fan pointing inwards to see if this problem repeats. Try all of this then come back and let us know how it worked out.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Do you have one or two sticks of DDR? If you're running two sticks then you might be getting memory errors due to mismatched ram. Even if they're the exact same kind, dual channel is finiky. Just a thought.

Is it a new build or has it been up for awhile?

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2200+, A7N8X Deluxe, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, Geforce3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled </font color=purple>

photojoe

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
1 stick of ram, and it's in dimm1 (the first blue). I tried it in dimm0 and it wouldn't turn on. Well, it turned on, it just didn't post.

I tried probe and Mbm they both read 90-105 degrees feherenheit(tired spelling sucks) now. I also tried Hardware Sensor Monitor and it reads same. Btw, this only seems to happen when im using 99% of processor power.

SYSTEM SPECS

muff

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I had the exact same problem with pretty much the same setup. Make sure you have the 1002 bios to cure the temp readings. Also, use the bios readouts to confirm MBM.

My solution was to buy a new power supply. I bought a 460W Entermax and it solved the power off problems.

Also, my watercooling block wasn't quite contacting the chip, so I had to reseat that. Perhaps you have a similar problem with your fan?

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
If your power supply is new, do you have a known good one that's 300 watts or more that you can test your system with? I would also try cleaning your cpu and heatsink and then reseating it with some Arctic Silver. I can't think of anything else that's obvious.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2200+, A7N8X Deluxe, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, Geforce3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled </font color=purple>