asus a7n8x-e onboard lan doesnt work

hi, a friend of mine has a asus a7n8x-e deluxe mainboard that has a
nvidia 100mbit and a marvell 1000mbit network adapter onboard.
we tried together for hours today but couldn't get one of those
working properly.
both adapters are recognized in winxp and the drivers install fine.
as we only need one nic working we always disabled the one we didn't
use and set the other one a manual ip (like
192.168.0.20/255.255.255.0)

it seems to run all well with the marvell adapter i just couldnt ping
any other box neither could it be pinged.
nvidia nic always states network cable unplugged though it is plugged
and the cable is good.

at the end of the day to be finally able to play some lan games we
just installed an old 10mbit realtek 8029 pci and everything run fine
immediately.
anyone got an idea whats wrong with those onboard things?

>at the end of the day to be finally able to play some lan games we
>just installed an old 10mbit realtek 8029 pci and everything run fine
>immediately.
>anyone got an idea whats wrong with those onboard things?

After one of the XP updates I had to use the Win98 driver.

All lower case to respond by mail.
If you give a little they give a lot
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco