qubit

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Hello all,

I need help with my new asus a7v. When ever I play rogue spear my computer freezes after a min. or three of game play. I have see this problems on the asus forum but no clear fixes. I have tried win98 and win2k same problem both. I have logged many hours with this game with an asus a7v so I know its not the game. I have installed directx7 and directx8 and I have the Detanator drivers 4.25. I am using the following set up.

win98se
asus a7v bios 104D
AMD 900 mzh
256 pc133 micron
asus v6800 delux det 4.25 drivers
sblive value
WD 20Gig HD 7200

Also would like to get rid of the unknown device symbol by the pci mass storage controller in device manager, I guess this is the promise ata100. Hope one of you guys have a solution for me.

G

There is an option in the 1005c bios that allows you disable the promise bios, just look around for it.

G

You'll probaby have freezing in ie 5.5 as well. I had this problem for a month and a half until bios 1005a came out. Once I put that on the computer never crashed or froze.

I am now running 1005c and all is well. I still use the Promise controller and drivers.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can't remove the PCI mass storage controller from the device manager (even if you disable it in the bios) you can only disable it so there is a red X through it.

Try a newer version of the detonator drivers and make sure you have the latest VIA drivers.

*Warning*
This was posted solely to increase my post count and may not contain any relevant info

qubit

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Thanks for the info guys. The 1005c bios update seems to work. I just tested it for a couple hours, pci mass storage controller is still there. Looking at it gets on my nerve, so much for my nerve.

Download and install <asup275> from asus site
update bios using <97v1005c> also form asus site

this did the trick, I will check it out on win2k this weekend.

G

Can't you follow the notes from the asus CD, on installing the promise drivers? I seem to remember that this fixes the unknown conflict...of course without a ATA100 HD, you won't get any use from the promise stuff, but I expect the conflict will disappear....I'm not sure though, but there must be some way of getting rid of it.

DESIGN TEAM.

G

I have the same problem but I could not understand the solution please help ?

TDH

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
If you read the Asus MB facts, (on their website) you just have to install the ATA100 drivers from the ASUS CD.. Just click on the ! and tell it to update driver, point it to the Promise/Win9X (or whatever OS you are running), directory... Problem fixed..

G

What he did was flash his bios to version 1005c. You should find help on this in many places. The procedure goes something like this, but look for the correct procedure on the Asus web site:

1) download version 1005c from Asus.
2) download flash utility from Asus
3) make a bootable floppy
4) extract downloaded bin to floppy
5) put flash utility on floppy
6) boot from floppy
7) flash bios

You can get the definitive procedure from the asus web site.

Remember, there is always a risk when flashing the bios, and if you're uncomfortable doing this, you should take it to where you bought it and have them do it for you.

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
As a heads up. Asus has now fully endorsed BIOS VERSION 1006 for use on the A7V. This BIOS is available via the Asus Germany web site.

On the main Asus web page, Select Germany as your county. Then Select Motherboards, Then "Sockel A" then the A7V, then Click BIOS. It will take you directly to Asus' FTP server and give your the 1006 'Zipped' BIOS file.

Also, when making a boot disk for BIOS... Be very careful NOT to have an autoexec.bat or config.sys file on the floppy disk!!!! You do NOT want ANY device drivers to load at all!!! THIS IS CRITICAL TO A SUCCESSFUL FLASH!!!!

To accomplish this, put a blank floppy in your floppy drive and double click "My Computer"... Then right click over the A: Icon and select "Format", then simply click the "Transfer system files" checkbox. After this completes, unzip the 1006 BIOS to the floppy disk and move the aflash.exe utility there too. CHECK THE FLOPPY BEFORE YOU REBOOT ONTO IT AND MAKE SURE THERE IS NO AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS... If there is.. DELETE THEM.

BEFORE CONTINUING, REBOOT AND ENTER BIOS AND MAKE SURE THAT YOUR VIDEO SETTINGS HAVE PCI (AND NOT AGP) AS BEING THE PRIMARY VIDEO!!!!

Now you should be able to successfully boot onto the floppy, backup your OLD bios there (save it as 'OLDA7V' or some other name of your choice for easy future reference) and install the new BIOS successfully.

Finally, after you have installed the new BIOS. Exit the aflash utility and POWER DOWN YOUR SYSTEM (not a reboot!!!).

When powering back up, hold the DELETE key to take you into your new BIOS where you must check all of your CMOS settings to ensure they are correct. Then you can also reset your video back to have AGP set as the primary video.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'