Asus a7v memory problem

G

Hi all,

system:
asus a7v kt133 latest bios update
1Ghz thunderbird
256Mb133Mhz
windows98

I recently purchased another 256Mb133Mhz of sdram. I now have 2 256Mb sticks. Both are Micron and have part#48lc16m8a2 75E. I cannot seem to get both sticks to work in my mobo. I can put one stick in OR the other and no crashes or fatal exceptions. However, if I put both in for 512Mb, I get fatal exception and page fault errors from every program I try to run including windows itself. I have run a memory test program with each stick separetely, and with both installed. Each stick passes with no errors separetely but with both installed, the memory test fails every address on each sdram.
I have tried using spd in auto and manually set to 3-3-3 to no avail and the bios is set to 133Mhz for the sdram. I have read a post on asus NetQ memory forum about another person having the same problem but no replies to the post were made by anyone. The asus manual and website have no incompatiblities listed other than the mobo cant use sdram with more than 18 chips, mine has 16. Has anyone come accross this problem with this mobo or has any suggestions? Thanx in advance.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Mmmm, I think Win98 has touble managing that much memory. Go see on MicroSoft's web site or wait for someone else to confirm. With that much memory you might have to upgrade to Win2K or WinXP. I don't know about the latest, but I sure think the 1-2 FPS I lost in games when switching to Win2K worth the INCREDIBLE gain in stability ... I can run my machine (which is much like yours: 1Ghz A7V 256MB Crucial CAS2) a week without any problems (when I'm not playing games, it's making MPEG4 movies or SETI ... so it is processing 24/7 ....

G

Thanx for the reply Zenthar. However the problem doesn't lie in the OS because DocMemory (memory tester) boots off of floppy into dos :( I have fooled around with settings in bios, but still no luck. I have found one interesting thing though. The memory tester fails at 384MB now on all tests. So one side of the second stick of sdram is not working. But i can swap the 2 sticks around and put them in any of the 3 dimm slots with the same results. This has to be a mobo or bios problem.

Zenthar

Distinguished
You mean the BIOS memory test fails? If you try any single memory bar, do they each reach 256MB? If it does there is no way it could be a memory problem... If the BIOS test reaches 512MB then the problem resides elsewhere. Since Win98 is (to me) only a big DOS patch, a DOS program might not be a relevant test. However if you know anyone using NT (NT4, Win2K, WinXP) try your memory stick in his PC, just to be sure it isn't an OS issue. An if you run out of tests .... go see you PC reseller and beat the hell out of him !!!

kingbrd1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Today I got 2 256 MB pieces from crucial w/ an A7V board. It booted no problem. I've got the 1.007 bios update and win 2kSP1. I was a little nervous when I bought them but was quite impressed with how it handled itself. Not much info or help for you I'm sorry but it can work.

King

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it's not an os problem. i have 512mgs with the following spec.s

asus a7v bios rev. 1007
duron 800 mhz. cpu not o'ced
leadtek geforce ddr
256mgs pc-133 generic micron ram
256mgs pc-133 crucial ram
windows 98se

have you tried playing around with the different ram slots, putting different chips in different combinations?

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>