Question Asus A88X-PLUS and Athlon X4 860K

Apr 20, 2019
Trying to get a bit more performance out of this for gaming.(mix of Fortnite/BF5) From what I've read so far I should be able to bump the CPU to 4.0 or so safely. Is anyone familiar with Bios Version 3003 that could help me get there?

Thanks!

16GB of DDR3 1600 RAM
A88X-Plus v.3003
Athlon X4 860K
Radeon RX560

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I believe enabling "High Performance" in the Windows power plan options would peg the CPU to 4GHz, as that is the stock boost frequency anyway?

As for overclocking on that board, it should be as simple as the AI Tweaker tab.
Enable "manual" mode under "AI overclock"... something (I forget the exact verbiage).
Change CPU Ratio, and further down the screen you should see "CPU voltage".

Should be sufficient for a quick & dirty OC anyway - assuming you want to push beyond 4GHz.

Apr 20, 2019
Thanks Barty, I appreciate your reply. This CPU seems to be running at 3.7 with 4.0 being it's safe topend I guess.

I'll try the high performance in Windows, as for the manual mode in AI Overclock, when I tried just basic adjustments to get it to 4.0 it essentially reboots and resets back to 3.7

I'll take another stab at it. Cheers!

May 25, 2019
Nope. setting high performance mode wont make it run at turbo frequency by itself. you also have to use Phenommsrtweaker (works for athlons and phenom's) and set all P-states to the turbo voltage and frequency. also click the little button and check the box to have it load settings at startup, and hit apply.
Do this AFTER you set everything to high performance.

This is a Steamroller FM2+ Athlon. Read your motherboard manual and overclock in your BIOS. The 860k in my own lab was stable at 4.5GHz, but much higher it would throttle. These processors also like fast low latency RAM. I was able to run DDR3-2400CL9 with no trouble.