ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe - "System VGA Failure"

theKingKong

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Opteron 175 @ 2.6GHz
GeCube X1800 512mb Crossfire Master Card
CORSAIR XMS 2x1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Generic 550W Power Supply

As the title sais on boot up the screen remains blank on POST, and "System VGA Failure" is said thorugh the speakers. After this the screen remains blank and the PC boots up into windows (windows bootup music comes on) The computer has been running fine for about 2 months with no glitches, I reformatted cause i had so much crap and i wanted a fresh pc. Once i reformatted and installed everything was working fine. Had a quick go on Hl2 - Episode 1, listened to some music etc... restarted the pc and bam! "System VGA Failure" i was just like wtf?

The green light on the motherboard comes on and I have noticed that the chipset fan has stopped working (common problem for A8N Sli Deluxe boards) but surely this wouldnt cause a "System VGA Failure"? Anyway everything else seems to bootup fine, all fans spin, the GFX Card seems to spin up and has a small green led which comes on.

I've unhooked the power, took out the little nickle sized battery, changed the CMOS jumper to reset the CMOS RTC RAM, changed the jumper back, rebooted -> to get the same as above.

I then unhooked everything except for:

The CPU and heat sink
The memory
The graphics card (and the 6 pin power connector to the card)
power to the mother board 20 + 4 12V and the auxillary power (4 pin - ? 5V ?) for the graphics card
Monitor
Speakers (from on board audio, and to case speakers)
and keyboard

Still got nothing on the monitor, and no beeps or warnings... Frustrating.

I then took out the memory, and FINALLY I good a warning -> some beeps and the on board audio 'system check - memory failure' or something along those lines.

Put the memory back in -> then got a warning 'System VGA failure' again..

SO, right now it seems that rather than a computer I have a very expensive and somewhat ugly fan (as far as fans go) that says in a very pleasantly annoying voice 'system vga failure'.

Problem is cause im at Uni I dont know ne1 who has a PCI-Express PC that i can try my GFX card and other components out on...

So any suggestions would be much appreciated i think i've covered all the bases im half expecting/hoping sum1 to say 'yer i had that problem... your mobo is b0rked!'

Thanks.