ASUS A8N-Sli has no idea my gfx card is in there...

eatmorecarbs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Hooked up correctly, the mobo is completely oblivious to any PCI-Expressx16 cards being put in there. Tried with a PCI Card and it worked fine. When the 7800GT (my card) is put in there, the post beepcode for no gfx card sounds. The gfx card is completely fine, tested it in a friends system. Whats wrong with the motherboard not recognizing the PCI-Ex16 gfx card? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Specs:
ASUS A8N-Sli Premium
500W PowerSupply
1GB Ram - i forget the brand
eVga Geforce 7800GT
AMD 3700+

Edit: ASUS A8N-SLi Premium, not A8N-SLi

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Here is a noobe contribution. Your SLI motherboard should have two slots for your graphics cards. The one you have needs to be inserted in the first slot (vocab?) The information is also in your motherboard manual, if you have one. (When all else fails, read the manual.) I've been proven wrong before but again here is my two cents worth.

eatmorecarbs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Here is a noobe contribution. Your SLI motherboard should have two slots for your graphics cards. The one you have needs to be inserted in the first slot (vocab?) The information is also in your motherboard manual, if you have one. (When all else fails, read the manual.) I've been proven wrong before but again here is my two cents worth.

Thank you for the response, but ive tried the card in both slots and it gives me the same post beepcode it would when i dont have any gfx card in there.

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Do you have the molex power connector to mobo connected? (its usually only needed for SLI config) and if so do you get a green light next to the connector? Of course you have the video card connected to the psu if needed right? Try resetting the bios to default config and last resort is pull the mobo and do a desktop test before you start thinking mobo rma.

eatmorecarbs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Do you have the molex power connector to mobo connected? (its usually only needed for SLI config) and if so do you get a green light next to the connector? Of course you have the video card connected to the psu if needed right? Try resetting the bios to default config and last resort is pull the mobo and do a desktop test before you start thinking mobo rma.

Its connected, no green light. gfx card connected to the PSU, yes. How do i go about reseting the bios?

eatmorecarbs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
There is a button to reset bios.

Also you might try a pci card to get it to work.
Then update the bios and see what happens :?:

Actually...i am using the PC right now with a Radeon 2500 PCI card. Updating the bios might fix my problem?

I had an issue with my A8N-SLI Deluxe where it wouldn't detect my second video card (for SLI). I sent an email to Asus, and they said to send it in. A week or two later, it was back and fully operational. If all else fails (try the BIOS stuff first), don't be afraid to email Asus. I have had very good luck with their tech support.

eatmorecarbs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
I had an issue with my A8N-SLI Deluxe where it wouldn't detect my second video card (for SLI). I sent an email to Asus, and they said to send it in. A week or two later, it was back and fully operational. If all else fails (try the BIOS stuff first), don't be afraid to email Asus. I have had very good luck with their tech support.

Ok thanks, i will keep that in mind if all else fails.

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Is that a SLI video card? Is it a video card that your motherboard suppports? My ASUS SLI motherboiard only supports SLI ready PCI Express graphics cards.

xnamerxx

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
your gonna be needing a new motherboard. It looks like the pcie ports may not be able to send power to the video cards anymore.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
From recollection there are one or two bios settings that have to be enabled on that MB. Also from recollection the MB manual wasn't very helpful.

(mine is at the bottom of the tip, due to NB fan dying, but that's another story)

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I find ASUS motherboard manuals to be very helpful, beyond that I would call ASUS for further information.
When persons build computers I wonder why they don't start with the selection of a motherboard, researching the motherboard and then using the manual to select other parts instead of asking others for recommendations. There must be a good explanation for doing it the other way.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
And you had / have an a8n-sli? Therefore you are speaking from experience?

As to their tech support, here in AUS it is non-existent at best or just down right rude at the worst.

But I'm trying to assist the OP, so we both digress.

Oh, good point Croc. I always have the bad habit of assuming everyone lives where I do. Over here in the USA, Asus Tech, from my experiance, is very good. As for elsewhere in the world, I have heard mixed reviews. Hopefully Asus has good tech where eatmorecarbs is, but we will see.

On a side note, you should be able to put almost any card in that motherboard. In my A8N-SLI Deluxe, I had 1 6800GT, 2 6800GT (SLI), and currently have a 2900XT (ATI). If an ATI card works, any NVIDIA card should.

Check the BIOS. Also, my cards had a LED on them that lit up when you turned them on to show they were getting power. If you can confirm no power, call ASUS.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
i have had the board over 2 years with no problems, I would make sure you have bios 1016, i would not use the beta bios. Also make sure you have the jumper set for single not dual video cards. Actually I have a deluxe not yours.

eatmorecarbs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
i have had the board over 2 years with no problems, I would make sure you have bios 1016, i would not use the beta bios. Also make sure you have the jumper set for single not dual video cards. Actually I have a deluxe not yours.

Yea, the Deluxe has a switch for single cards, Premium doesnt. I will try updating the bios in a little bit. I'll post back with the results.