Asus a8n-sli Premium Posting problems

Migit

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
I just upgraded my mobo from an a8n-sli deluxe since one of the chipset fans was broken, and it took me months to realize it. Since I upgraded from the deluxe, I assumed all my parts are compatible. The computer only uses one GFX card.

Basically, I just finished the upgrade, and when I have the gfx card in the primary (Blue) pci-express x16 slot, the computer doesn't post, and there is no video output. The computer beeps 2 times (short beeps), followed by a short pause, then 3 more short beeps (5 beeps total). Since the red LED isn't on I didn't bother connecting the extra power input for the sli support, but it tried plugging it in as well and got the same series of beeps. I've looked on the internet for about 20 minutes trying to figure out what these beeps mean, but I can't seem to find a site that lists them.

The part that I don't understand is that the computer posts flawlessly when the GFX card is plugged into the second pci express x16 slot. When the gfx card is in the second slot, the red LED goes on and so I plug in the extra power connection.

My questions are the following...

1) What do these beeps mean?
2) When only using one gfx card, is the card suppose to be in the blue x16 slot or the black one? If it’s supposed to be in the black one, then I don't have a problem.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and reply. :)

moose64

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
You put the card in the blue slot and when you installed the new motherboard did you reinstall windows and download the drivers?The beeps sound like a memory error.

Migit

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
well, to get the board working, i had to use the second pci-express x16 slot(black one) to get into the bios. after i was in the bios, i changed the sli settings from auto to single card. after this, i was getting the same error, just in the black slot instead of the blue. after i switched the card to the blue slot, it's been working perfectly.