Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe: (NV)RAID issues

xt0m

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Hello from Denmark :D ..First off, here are the details of my rig:

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (watercooled)
- Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (rev. 1.01 with BIOS 1009)
- 2 Gb Kingston PC3500 HyperX CL2
- 256 Mb Asus Geforce 6600
- 2*36 Gb WDC Raptors (on SATA1+SATA2)
- 250 Gb WDC Caviar (on SATA3)
- SB X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS

I'm having lots of problems setting up a RAID (0) array with the two raptors. I'm not a total noob with computers, just never messed around with RAID arrays before.

I can enter the BIOS and enable NVRAID and add them to the config, and also see them as "healthy" on the MediaShield Config - they're just not bootable. Booting on my XP CD works right up until I get to choose where to install as only the 250 Gig drive on SATA3 can be chosen :?

I've also tried hitting F6 during XP installation to add SATA RAID drivers off a floppy, but it doesn't accept the drivers :cry:

At the moment I'm running XP off the first raptor, with NVRAID enabled - just without disks in the config. How do I make the array bootable?

Hope some1 can help me :roll:

pat

Expert

- SB X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS

I'm having lots of problems setting up a RAID (0) array with the two raptors. I'm not a total noob with computers, just never messed around with RAID arrays before.

I can enter the BIOS and enable NVRAID and add them to the config, and also see them as "healthy" on the MediaShield Config - they're just not bootable. Booting on my XP CD works right up until I get to choose where to install as only the 250 Gig drive on SATA3 can be chosen :?

I've also tried hitting F6 during XP installation to add SATA RAID drivers off a floppy, but it doesn't accept the drivers :cry:

At the moment I'm running XP off the first raptor, with NVRAID enabled - just without disks in the config. How do I make the array bootable?

Try downloading the latest drivers for nforce4 16x chipset right on nvidia web site.

xt0m

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Try downloading the latest drivers for nforce4 16x chipset right on nvidia web site.

Done. Installed.. (what to do now?).. Found a newer BIOS, 1103, but cant install AsusUpdate - biosinfo.dll says I dont have an Asus m0b0 :roll:

pat

Expert

Done. Installed.. (what to do now?).. Found a newer BIOS, 1103, but cant install AsusUpdate - biosinfo.dll says I dont have an Asus m0b0 :roll:

Ok, memory error. try to boost memory voltage to at least 2.7 volts. then try again.

blancj

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I only have the ...16 SLI Deluxe but I had a similar issue.

My first suggestion is to pull the 250GB drive until you know the Zero is running. Why? At least on my MB the Sil raid is default primary.

If you cant install the latest driver, how certain are you that the orignal didnt install the first time?

Third thought, have you properly set the jumper on the hard drives? I believe they both need to be to primary.

Final thought, are you certain the 2nd Raptor is good? I know you said it indicated it was healthy, but does it list both drives? It should list two drives when you go into the raid tool.

pat

Expert
make sure that the external RAID controller (Sil) is disabled to prevent all kind of conflict

make sure you are really using the nvidia connector, not the sil one

if still no go, you have one of these board that don't want to RAID. Look at HardOCP web site for their A8N32 review. they got plenty of problem with RAID .

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

- SB X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS

If I understand right, you installed XP on the first raptor, and then after that, you want to convert to RAID0? I have my OS on two 74GB Raptors and what I did was to set up the RAID0, then loaded XP onto the array. I'm not so sure you can load the OS onto one of the two drives, then convert to an array. Another thing: get the RAID0 working first, then install the 250GB drive. Not sure how to fix your current problem. Reinstall XP? I did my RAID partition and format in the XP install - not sure if you can do those steps after already installing on one HD.

xt0m

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I only have the ...16 SLI Deluxe but I had a similar issue.

My first suggestion is to pull the 250GB drive until you know the Zero is running. Why? At least on my MB the Sil raid is default primary.

If you cant install the latest driver, how certain are you that the orignal didnt install the first time?

Third thought, have you properly set the jumper on the hard drives? I believe they both need to be to primary.

Final thought, are you certain the 2nd Raptor is good? I know you said it indicated it was healthy, but does it list both drives? It should list two drives when you go into the raid tool.

Hmm.. Both drives are marked healthy by the RAID tool (DOS), but I can't boot on them so cant tell ya what the RAID tool (Windows) will say. The Sil RAID is disabled and has been since I got the board.

Both Raptors are set as primaries.

xt0m

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
make sure that the external RAID controller (Sil) is disabled to prevent all kind of conflict

make sure you are really using the nvidia connector, not the sil one

if still no go, you have one of these board that don't want to RAID. Look at HardOCP web site for their A8N32 review. they got plenty of problem with RAID .

Well, I guess its just one of those boards.. :cry:

xt0m

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
If I understand right, you installed XP on the first raptor, and then after that, you want to convert to RAID0? I have my OS on two 74GB Raptors and what I did was to set up the RAID0, then loaded XP onto the array. I'm not so sure you can load the OS onto one of the two drives, then convert to an array. Another thing: get the RAID0 working first, then install the 250GB drive. Not sure how to fix your current problem. Reinstall XP? I did my RAID partition and format in the XP install - not sure if you can do those steps after already installing on one HD.

I tried installing XP on two blank disks, but 1) I cant choose to install XP on them whether I've loaded the RAID driver or not, and 2) they're not bootable when in NvRAID config. Hence I now run XP off the first raptor without using the second raptor at all.

Was hoping I could convert/rebuild afterwards, but doesn't work either :(

mfurse

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I had a similar problem with the nvraid drivers not "taking". So after some hunting around I found this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140

How to slipstream NVRaid drivers into the Windows XP SP2 cd using nlite. Follow it religiously and integrate those latest X16 raid drivers and it should fix your problem and save you having to hunt for floppy disks.

Worked a treat for me and my DFI board.

Matt

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I had the same problems. I've had RAID 0 set up on my previous motherboard (Abit Fatal1ty), but just couldn't get it to work on the A8N32-SLi. Same issue - couldn't set the RAID array as bootable in the raid utility.

There's also another thread around here somewhere with another person having the same problem.

I never found a solution to this. If you manage to figure it out, please let me know.

KlaasVaak

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
If I understand it correcly you can boot from the 3rd HD but not from the Raid (HD1+2). My setup is 2HDs in Raid 0 and 1HD (normal Sata or whatever you want to call it). I could not boot windows from the Raid coz it would always boot from the other (single) drive.

If you want to boot windows from your Raid then this is a solution:
-Disconnect the 3rd HD
-Setup your Raid configuration (I think you did this right)
-Install windows XP (don't forget the floppy with the drivers)
-Complete XP installation
-Connect your 3rd HD

Windows, and its boot files will be installed on the Raid and the computer is smart enough to boot from that.

System note: The Raid is still recognized by the system as being the 2nd HD, not the first. Keep that in mind if you make a system backup with a tool like Norton Ghost.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I had the same problems. I've had RAID 0 set up on my previous motherboard (Abit Fatal1ty), but just couldn't get it to work on the A8N32-SLi. Same issue - couldn't set the RAID array as bootable in the raid utility.

There's also another thread around here somewhere with another person having the same problem.

I never found a solution to this. If you manage to figure it out, please let me know.

Hmmm... I'm running my OS on a RAID0 pair of 74Gb Raptors, so I know it works. I copied the drivers off of the Asus Cd that came with the mobo, set up the RAID in bios, did the F6 routine to load the drivers, installed XP and while doing so, set up the partitions and formatted. Viola, done like dinner.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006

Hmmm... I'm running my OS on a RAID0 pair of 74Gb Raptors, so I know it works. I copied the drivers off of the Asus Cd that came with the mobo, set up the RAID in bios, did the F6 routine to load the drivers, installed XP and while doing so, set up the partitions and formatted. Viola, done like dinner.
It was that easy for me with the Abit board. But for some reason, on the A8N32-SLi, I was unable to set the raid array as bootable in the dos-based raid utility program (option was greyed out and not selectable - bootable status against the raid array was 'N/A', and not 'Yes' or 'No'). Therefore the WinXP installation could not see the array, even after installing the 2 drivers.

I even tried deleting the array and rebuilding it, but without success.

I've sort of got used to having the separate drives now, and have them nicely organised such that the performance is still pretty good. However, I would still like to find a fix for this for 2 reasons:
1. It will be useful if I decide to raid in the future
2. I hate it when things don't work as they should - I have to know why :lol:

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006

The raid array is not set as bootable in the raid utility it is set in the boot menu after the array is set up. You just go to boot menu and set it to nv stripe "size drive" or nv mirror "size drive" or nv raid5 "size drive". As long as both drives are master and the raid is set up in the utility then its just finding it in the boot menu.

xt0m

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
The raid array is not set as bootable in the raid utility it is set in the boot menu after the array is set up. You just go to boot menu and set it to nv stripe "size drive" or nv mirror "size drive" or nv raid5 "size drive". As long as both drives are master and the raid is set up in the utility then its just finding it in the boot menu.

No, tried that one as well. Does't work either. I can select the NV Mirror in the bios boot menu, but it still wont boot on em - and the raid utility still says "N/A" as mentioned by some of the other guys in here.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006

No, tried that one as well. Does't work either. I can select the NV Mirror in the bios boot menu, but it still wont boot on em - and the raid utility still says "N/A" as mentioned by some of the other guys in here.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I also tried it. I believe I first tried with just 2 drives installed in raid0, and the array must have been visible in bios and set as a boot device otherwise I wouldn't have tried to progress to the installation of WinXP.

The reason for my delay in replying was that I was not 100% sure :?

sirbogey

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I faced exactly the same problem as you and almost gave up. I got it resolved with some help from a friend. My BIOS still says N/A in the "bootable" section, but I can boot in RAID 0 anyway. The problem is that you did not copy the proper drives onto your disk or bootable CD usiing nLite. You need to copy 2 drivers. I did that with the unattended bootable Windows CD as described by mfurse. It's the only way to do it! hope it helps

xt0m

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Ey :)

I havent done the n-lite solution yet, but deffo gonna give it a try.
- Let ya know when its done ;)

/t0m

sirbogey

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
It took me a month to think about it as well, but it paid off. You need to install nLite and then dotNet from Microsoft. That's why I was put off initially. When I get home I might try to look up which drivers we used at the end. But basically when you follow the description from the above link, you should be able to figure it out.

Reb00t

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
----------
Download The lastest software to your Nforce4 mainboard
Install the software. Done
-----------
Download "nlite"
Search google "nlite +download"
Install "nlite"
Insert your Windows XP CD
Run "nlite"
Choose your CD drive, nlite would now copy the files to your harddrive.
You get a screen where you can press something like "Add drivers" also press the last button named something with "Burn iso"
Press on the button and go to the folder where you unzipped the Nforce4 software
"C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\6.86\IDE\WinXP\sataraid"
in the window in Nlite you can only select "nvraid" add the file in text mode
Now your back and you can see you have added a driver
you also need to add
"C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\6.86\IDE\WinXP\sata_ide" as PNP driver.
ok now press next untill you get a screen where you can burn your XP cd
Name the CD the some as your orginal XP CD"
And burn.
Now you got a CD with your NVraid drivers and you dont need to press "F6" under the XP install. XP CD automatic install your raid drivers.
Good Luck

Latest posts