asus a8v and sata drive problems

dunapet

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
I had this board working with a single sata drive - after several months is just started rebooting over and over again. Now it will not boot - say's it can't can't find disk. Booted using a ghost 10.0 disk and it see's the sata drive, in bios it see's the disk but will not let me choose it for a boot disk. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dunapet

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
No, it's a Seagate. It's just making me mad as heck that suddenly BIOS will not let me choose it as a boot disk. I really don't want to go thru the hassle of having to reistall and config every thing. I'm still thinking it is a problem with the sata controler(onboard), but looking for all ideas besides my limited experience.

dunapet

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Well, got it running. The sata controller(onboard) say's it's for raid. What I did was set BIOS 'SATA BOOTROM' to enable. Then in the hard drive section it showed the drive and I selected it as my first drive. When booting, I <TAB>'d into the raid setup - but with only one disk this section was useless as it will not let you change anything but I could see that the controller recognized the harddrive. The system still would not boot(this was the main drive of the sytem so the operating system was installed and it should have booted). Because this is an office computer, I have Norton Ghost installed and had a different drive with backup images on it. I did a recovery and now it works. But I still need to know what caused this problem - I don't want to have to do a recovery every time some piece of hardware hiccups. Once up and running I did a virus check which came back clean. I also used the harddrive utility to check the drive and that came back good. Thanks everyone for your ideas hear and on the other threads!

Taft12

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I guess it was a virus or OS issue since a backup image fixed it and there are no bad blocks?

If it starts happening again, maybe it's the SATA controller on the board?