Asus AC1900 vs Asus AC2600

Dlepi

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Quick question - looking to upgrade router for my parents who are still renting theirs from Comcast. They're running on a 2.4Ghz wireless G router and the WiFi is pretty spotty upstairs and on the other side of the house. For now, I just want to upgrade their router before I run cable upstairs (ethernet is only ran on the main floor) and get an access point. I'm looking at the Asus AC1900 but then I noticed the AC2600 (side by side comparison here). From what I'm seeing, the AC2600 router looks better, but it's also cheaper on Newegg. Am I missing something? Additionally, it says it's Alexa and Echo compatible. What exactly does that entail? An easier time connecting smart-home and IoT devices, or that they can speak to their Alexa and configure the router/network (which seems like an awful idea). I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the AC2600, I'm just asking for someone else to browse over them and make sure I'm not missing something. Any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Be aware a lot of router are using protocols that end devices do not support. Things like 4x4 mimo do you no good if your end device does not also have 4 antenna which is very rare. Also running 200mbps channel on 2.4g 802.11n is a non standard extension of 802.11n. Some devices..ie apple..only support things that are part of the official standard.

Just be a little careful of the "bigger" number marketing hype, be very sure you can actually use what you are buying.

Dlepi

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Dlepi

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Yeah, I noticed a lot of the marketing hype was on features that most people aren't going to be able to take advantage of. That being said, I'm just looking for a better router that they aren't renting, and being able to step them up to 5Ghz and off of wireless g will help them out. Right now, it looks as if all of their neighbors are running 2.4 as well and their wireless network is extremely poor for what they're paying and in comparison to the wired speeds. Thank you for the concerns though. Definitely valid points.

Dlepi

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Went ahead and grabbed the R7500 and set the Comcast Modem/Router into bridged mode while the new modem comes in. Went around the house with a network analyzer and was getting ~30 Mbps before, and now on the 5Ghz frequency, I'm pulling 120 Mbps wirelessly. Thanks for the information and the recommendations.