Asus, Acer Hint at Possible Merger Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
This is going to sound kind of like a joke but there is a large consumer base who probably thinks these are the same companies just said differently. They also make devices around the same price/quality point I think its a good idea.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I'd just be scared Asus would get polluted with Acer's lower quality. Not to mention lack of competition hurting customers.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Yeah... don't really know that this means much of anything positive for Asus. Don't really know that Acer's Chromebook line is as popular as this article suggests. Mergers usually provide enhanced manufacturing and distribution outlets, so that's a positive. And Acer has a lower tier that Asus doesn't while Asus has a higher tier that Acer doesn't, so as one company they could cover both extremes. However, mergers rarely work that well. Just don't know if this is automatically a good or bad idea... lots of details that would need to be worked out.

whitey_rolls1984

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
seems like an odd pairing, thankfully I gave up on Asus years ago due to some terrible motherboards and bad customer service...

Oddly enough I turned to Asrock (I know ironic) and they've been great

ugh. it scares me when a company generally known for quality (Asus) is talking about a merger with a company generally known for making crap (Acer). I don't think i've ever seen that type of merger result in better products.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
'I'd just be scared Asus would get polluted with Acer's lower quality. Not to mention lack of competition hurting customers.'

Acer used to be very good, they've gone way downhill since I had my first Acer laptop in 2008, and I am on my second laptop -- I have owned a Lenovo IdeaPad, as well as an ASUS laptop too; but my main computer is my desktop -- and posting questions on Acer's community forums go unanswered unless the people who are paid to answer questions like you, and they only seem to answer certain people now. I may get an ASUS laptop again and sell this Acer one.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
In all this talk of who's got higher quality, people are missing the bigger issue. Acer and Asus still do compete on some tiers. Mergers are never good for the consumer because you're reducing the competition in the field. A merged company would not put out a high tier laptop and low tier laptop, it would put out A laptop. There will be one less option regardless of the quality. Even Acer has it's place in the market, offering lower cost goods to people who don't need high quality. The only people that benefit here are the investors, which is why stocks went up. One company gets to reduce the competition in it's field resulting in more market control while the other company's investors get to walk off with a hefty buyout that they can "invest" in driving another company into the ground.

alextheblue

Distinguished

I've had similar troubles with Asus at times.

I also had a similar issue with a DFI Lanparty NF4 board... I ended up replacing it with a less expensive Epox NF4 board - and it was absolutely rock solid. With the DFI I went through several BIOS updates (including beta ones) it was never completely stable at stock speeds. Crashed at least once a day whether under a load or not. The Epox board is still functional in a secondary machine, still works great and has been rock solid for its long career.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Reminds me of the HP-Compaq merger. So sad Compaq bought DEC and tied up it's cash. These CEO's are finance people not business people and have screwed up many top companies. Novell, Compaq, Wordperfect, Lotus, DEC, IBM PC and many Unix brands after the OSF1 fail.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
NO NO NO NO NO! Please don't let this happen, someone! Acer is HORRIBLE. Asus products are nothing short of awesome, it's not just the quality (which I have no complaints about whatsoever), it's the amount of features their products have for the price. They're almost the only name in consumer wireless networking right now, with Intel closing down their motherboard business there's just no one else left in the motherboard business and their ROG laptops are the pinnacle of affordable mobile gaming. Acer is a pile of cheap pushover garbage that people buy because they don't know any better.

Asus and Lenovo? Lenovo is the same junk as Acer or worse at times, their low-end offerings disgust me, the ONLY good thing about Lenovo are their ThinkPad keyboards and *nothing* else. I wish that they, along with HP, Acer, Gateway, eMachines and all other low-quality brands would crumble to dust - sadly, that would severely reduce the competition and mess up the market. But at least don't have any of them merge with Asus! There is NOTHING Asus would get from that deal! Acer has no production lines, no [significant] IP, no significant product series (their junk gets phased out in favor of newer junk quicker than you learn all of their horrible naming conventions). Asus has their own production, ought to have some interesting IP AND a ton of significant products - their motherboards, their networking, their ROG laptops...

If Asus knows what's good for them, they won't do it. They are JUST starting to become well-known (it's their own fault for not advertising enough for so long) and they can NOT afford to taint their brand name with low quality of Acer. Buy their stock, do some other stuff, but DO NOT MERGE.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Interesting that stock prices rose over the rumor even though that aftermath of such a deal would likely pollute both companies and stock prices would fall - in my opinion.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
After reading all comments, I can't belive the Acer hate. Then again, this is a US website.

As a boutique builder and hardware reseller / service I feel obligated to inform you that it's the other way around. Asus products, especially low and mid end stuff have a 40% failure rate. Especially entry level notebooks and high end mainboards. 12% of Asus notebooks we get in europe are defective out of the box. Acer hardware on the other hand (at least what they have been building for the last 4-5 years) has a 21% failure rate, making ACER hardware 50% more reilable then ASUS. Same goes for batteries. Oddly enpught, the batery of the avarage Asus notebook has a life of 6 to 9 months, while Acer batteries last up to 18 months. If I was to use laptops, I'd choose Acer over Asus any day.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
After reading all comments, I can't belive the Acer hate. Then again, this is a US website.

As a boutique builder and hardware reseller / service I feel obligated to inform you that it's the other way around. Asus products, especially low and mid end stuff have a 40% failure rate. Especially entry level notebooks and high end mainboards. 12% of Asus notebooks we get in europe are defective out of the box. Acer hardware on the other hand (at least what they have been building for the last 4-5 years) has a 21% failure rate, making ACER hardware 50% more reilable then ASUS. Same goes for batteries. Oddly enpught, the batery of the avarage Asus notebook has a life of 6 to 9 months, while Acer batteries last up to 18 months. If I was to use laptops, I'd choose Acer over Asus any day.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I had a friend in high school who bought an Acer, which exact model I can't tell you, but he had it for a month. After a month the motherboard fried, and as it turns out it had a defective fan; it was installed backwards.

He went out and bought himself a Samsung after that to use for modding and programming.

SuperAxilla

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
It's all a matter of preference, I suppose, but I'd rather them not pair with Acer. I repair (and refurb) laptops for a living. The most (applies to new and older models) are Acer, Dell (Inspirons) and selctive HP models (primarily the 2000 series & CQ Compaqs) with Windows 8 and AMD Visions (something not right about the E-series with Windows 8 - a lot out of dead mobos out of the box).

The laptops that hardly ever come in are ASUS, Samsung and, by far the least of them all, Lenovo.

Status
Not open for further replies.