Question Asus AiMesh & Nest Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2020
Newbie Help:

I recently installed Asus Aimesh over the weekend and now my Nest cameras are going offline. It doesn't happen to all of them at the same time, but periodically I will get an offline notification. I am currently running a RT-AX56U for my main and two RT-AC66U_B1 with Ethernet back-haul for both.

I also recently upgraded my Spectrum internet to 400/20.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

I am surprised you didn't always have issues running cameras on wifi. They send data constantly and are extremely sensitive to poor wifi. It could be you are on different radio channels than before.

You would hope the camera is not attempting to jump between wifi sources. I don't know if the asus mesh stuff attempt to force devices to change like some systems do. I never use the mesh garbage so I never read the stuff.

Maybe change the SSID on the remote AP to something else so you can force your cameras to connect to the signal you know is the best. If it runs stable in that configuration you have to assume it is jumping from wifi source to wifi source. In general the end device is responsible for selection but some mesh systems will force a drop when they think there is a better one. Many times the end device will connect back to the same source because its signal levels say it is best.

Reactions: SamirD
Jul 14, 2020
I am surprised you didn't always have issues running cameras on wifi. They send data constantly and are extremely sensitive to poor wifi. It could be you are on different radio channels than before.

You would hope the camera is not attempting to jump between wifi sources. I don't know if the asus mesh stuff attempt to force devices to change like some systems do. I never use the mesh garbage so I never read the stuff.

Maybe change the SSID on the remote AP to something else so you can force your cameras to connect to the signal you know is the best. If it runs stable in that configuration you have to assume it is jumping from wifi source to wifi source. In general the end device is responsible for selection but some mesh systems will force a drop when they think there is a better one. Many times the end device will connect back to the same source because its signal levels say it is best.
Thank you!! That's a good idea. I wish i knew how to tell the devices to connect to what router i want.. other than your suggestion.

Try playing with the Roaming Block List. Essentially since the camera's are in a fixed position and the access points are in a fix position. You already know which access point you want each camera to connect to. So you BLOCK off the access points you don't want each camera to connect to using the roaming block off list.

Status
Not open for further replies.