[SOLVED] ASUS AIMesh, wireless speeds vary

Jan 11, 2019
ASUS AIMesh Slowing Wireless Speeds. I have 3 ASUS routers meshed, they have been working fine, about 2 weeks ago the wireless speeds started to vary. I have a 100 Mpsup and 15Mps down. Wired connections seem to be working fine. Wireless goes down to 8mps or lower and starts fluctuating. It’s also dropping connections or not showing connections to various devices that are connected. Seems odd, out of the blue, I reset, works better then hoes back to slower speeds.

Solution
Start simple and only use the wifi from the main router, turn off the remote units. See what speeds you get sitting next to the main router and then sitting next to where you have the other routers placed.

Mesh is not something magically it is a radio repeater. It must be able to receive a good usable signal from the main router. Proper placement is critical. If it works poorly even before you turn on the repeaters it is only going to get worse. There just is not enough radio bandwidth for all these devices to function without interfering. This also assume you have no neighbors who also do not have a house full of radio transmitting routers also interfering.
Start simple and only use the wifi from the main router, turn off the remote units. See what speeds you get sitting next to the main router and then sitting next to where you have the other routers placed.

Mesh is not something magically it is a radio repeater. It must be able to receive a good usable signal from the main router. Proper placement is critical. If it works poorly even before you turn on the repeaters it is only going to get worse. There just is not enough radio bandwidth for all these devices to function without interfering. This also assume you have no neighbors who also do not have a house full of radio transmitting routers also interfering.

Solution