Asus Also Claims "World's Fastest" Router With RT-AC68U

Status
Not open for further replies.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
With dual core and USB3.0, it seems a lot better than the RT-AC66U. I'm planning to give it a try. I just hope that their USB3 does really perform at close to spec of 5Gb/s.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Linksys can claim all they want, one look at their AC1900 and its pathetically short antennas is enough. I know what Linksys non-WRT54 routers are like, they are junk. Asus ones, on the other hand, are amazing. Too bad I can't justify buying a $250 router, the specs look amazing. I'd rather have Asus build an affordable $80 or so router with maybe "only" 150-300 Mbps WiFi but gigabit LAN - that seems to be available only on extremely expensive $150+ models, sadly, and IMO, it's more interesting and useful than "fast" WiFi.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
my customers run the AC1750 w/ DD-WRT. The thing is a beast and coverage is great. I am not sure how beneficial USB 3.0 support is. Sure you can hook it to a nas, but who cares? NETWORK attached storgage...keyword...NETWORK

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I just bought the RT-AC66U and replaced the antennas with 9 dbi ones, i cna pick up my wifi anywhere in my house, yard, or neighbors house/yard. and with a good external antenna i can pick it up 6 houses down and connect/use my network

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
ASUS, notorious for lackluster customer support and insanely lack of product testing (except for most motherboards).
I bet this is one of the crap they screw up in every each way.
Well, for those suckers who are going to buy this, better luck with DD-WRT aftermarket firmware.

I have a Asus RT-AC66U and I can say its the most stable router I have used recently. Had to replace my DLink that had issues with Outlook and Lync.

I am also very impressed at the power their stock firmware gives. Its a very powerful little router capable of a lot of great things.

The best you can expect is about 4Gbps since rated is max throughput without the drop off in encoding which is 8b/10b for USB.

Still its faster than a wired 1Gbps link, or even the 802.11ac max of 1.3Gbps, until 10Gbps routers become affordable as well as 10Gbps NICs become standard in systems which will be a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS