Asus AMD Radeon R7 260x Direct CU II Causing Random Freezes

LMcKee427

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
I recently decided to upgrade my graphics card from my existing Nvidia Geforce 9600GT. It was a somewhat out of place relic when I overhauled my desktop last year with a new motherboard, processor, RAM and HD. I should have replaced my graphics card when I was replacing everything else, but I chose not to.

I purchased a new Asus AMD Radeon R7 260x Direct CU II a few days ago, and managed to install it after uninstalling the existing Nvidia drivers and then slotting in the new card. However, after installing the drivers from the disk which came with the card, the PC became somewhat unstable (black screens, random freezes, very slow to boot up etc). I updated to the latest AMD drivers as well as updating the mobo chipset drivers (the instructions which came with the card recommended these be up to date).

I tried uninstalling/re-installing the drivers but the problems still existed to one degree or another. I followed a solution offered in one of the other threads here, to uninstall all AMD drivers and instead of using the on-disc drivers simply jump straight to the latest ones from AMD. This seems to have stabilised the PC, but the occasional freezes still happen and I am at a loss as to what is causing them.

They occur at random times, sometimes just surfing the internet, other times just idling on the desktop. It is strange because I can play Skyrim or Total War Rome II on ultra high graphics for an hour or two and have no issue, yet these freezes still occur when the system is doing things which (I would think) carry less strain.

After installing this graphics card, the PSU is now the oldest component in the PC, and some threads have pointed towards this as a possible cause.

My full specs are as follows:

O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LX
RAM: 8GB Kingston Technology HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 8GB DIMM XMP (2x 4GB)
Processor/CPU: Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)
HD: Western Digital Black - 3.5 inch 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM
PSU: Cooler Master 'Real Power' M520 RS-520-ASAA-A1 520W

Max. current 12 V - Rail 1 19 A
Max. current 12 V - Rail 2 19 A
Max. current 12 V - Rail 3 19 A
Max current 12 V - Total 57 A
Max. current 5 V 20 A
Max. curren 3.3 V 25 A

I have noticed that there is a comment on the box the card came in that recommends your PSU is minimum of 500W with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A

Given all my 12v seem to max at 19A could this be a factor?

If the PSU is the issue, I unfortunately don't have a more powerful spare one to test the theory, and I would prefer not to buy a brand new one unless this is the most likely cause.

I would welcome any suggestions.

GGGghz

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Coolermaster's Real Power-series is exceptional. Its very. Pricing on 1000w unit is STILL over 300€'s..
Intel dosent suck power like AMD (personally got the terrible tdp of 219w! on FX9590).. So might be that your psu aint bottnecking ac much as u think...

Your first sentences: Unistalled Nvidias and installed.....

Double (triple) check unistallation and Installation. Clean install is way to go.
Using software like : DriverCleanerPro after Uninstall has finished and you have booted its good to run another application to find all the left-overs from the Nvidia.
AMD card so you are prolly waiting for Mantle?
Imo. D-load official CCC 13.12 first. Play smt / run few benchmarks (3dmark,heaven...)
All good.. Keep it or Unistall + DriverCleaner (like I previously said but on AMD card ur usin). Then install latest Beta ccc wich is 13.14 beta v1.3 (solid imo).
R7 260X is quite known from Bang for a Buck :D ... Adn overheating that it wont collapse the rig but does tear your screen n starts flickering...
I suggest an after-market cooler!

1. Unistall/Installations (double-triple times)
2. No oc, so you shoudnt have to use GpuTweak/afterburner/overdrive etc for stable volts so skipped that part in text too
3. Cooling. Case intake near the card ? Mayby an aftermarket cooler for gpu? Richie Rich.. Water-cool it.
4. RMA and upload a video/screenshots from flickering/tears etc and send it to FB/Twitter account of your Gpu's manufactor + send em an email (social media so they now-days answer quite fast when U tell that this card DOSENT wotk like its suppose ;)

Sincerely:
-Druizza-

NHTG

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
I get black screens in 3d games (dirt 3/grid 2)and close to zero demanding 2d apps. Fastest and most predictable way to evoke a crash is to run Rapid typing tutor (http://www.rapidtyping.com/). A free 2d application. The screen starts to jitter or goes black.

My card is a Asus R7260x-dc2oc-2gd5