News Asus and Noctua Reportedly Prep GeForce RTX 40-Series Boards

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Silly question here.... but why aren't we mounting GPU chips flat against the motherbord (instead of on edge) and giving them their own CPU-style cooler? Seems like there should be a HUGE market for this now that GPUs need more cooling than CPUs. Maybe slap a pcie slot on the BACK of the motherboard and give the GPU the whole entire space to hog? Something needs to get done...! Someone needs to do this!

Reactions: pointa2b

pointa2b

Prominent
Dec 22, 2022
Nice to see Noctua getting into partnerships like this, they deserve to be everywhere.

Consumer: they're ugly
For the sake of appeasing that group of people, hopefully they do it in Chromax black too...

Silly question here.... but why aren't we mounting GPU chips flat against the motherbord (instead of on edge) and giving them their own CPU-style cooler?
Very interesting concept. At a bare minimum, the modularity of it lets you replace bad/aging fans without replacing the card outright.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Silly question here.... but why aren't we mounting GPU chips flat against the motherbord (instead of on edge) and giving them their own CPU-style cooler? Seems like there should be a HUGE market for this now that GPUs need more cooling than CPUs. Maybe slap a pcie slot on the BACK of the motherboard and give the GPU the whole entire space to hog? Something needs to get done...! Someone needs to do this!
I think you are only half serious and I like your gumption, but seems to me this would require a lot of different manufacturers to spend a lot of time and money coming up with new designs and standards, including motherboards, graphics cards, and computer cases. Also, having everything on top of the motherboard is a huge advantage when it comes to cable management, water cooling, and generally being able to access components.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Or we can implement the easiest solution.

Instead of having consumers buy PCIe x16 Riser Cables to move the Video Card to a optimal location for cooling, we can just move the PCIe x16 slot to the BOTTOM of the MoBo.
Regardless of the MoBo Form Factor

The PCIe x16 slot should be moved to the bottom, this has several benefits:
  1. Not obstruct all the other PCIe slots on your MoBo so you can use those slots
  2. Have a dedicated spot for cooling and dedicated spot for your Video Card.
  3. Have the massive 2/3/4/5/6/... slot Video Card not Exhaust Heat straight onto the MoBo PCB
  4. In a normal tower configuration, it's closer to the floor of the case, ergo bottom fan intake will force air into the fan intakes on your Video Card, thus improving the cooling potential of your Video Card.
  5. This makes figuring out exhaust solutions for your Video Card very easy, just have small fans on either side of the exhaust suck the heat out of the sides if it's a side exhausting setup.

If you're worried about the variety of connectors on the bottom lip of your MoBo, don't worry about it. All you need to do to rectify that is turn the series of connectors on the bottom of the MoBo 90° to be "Right-Angle" connectors so that you don't have to worry about the Video Card obstructing all the normal cable inputs that normally lie on the bottom of the MoBo (USB, Power/Reset Switch, etc).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
now that GPUs need more cooling than CPUs.
It's not so much that, but cpu cooling is crap due to how inefficient it is.
We can already see 500-600w gpus being cooled just fine by big ass air coolers - there's no question that liquid would do fine too - but any cooling can struggle with cpu's that are capable of even half that kind of power draw. How nuts is that?
Cpu die(s) > solder/TIM > IHS > more TIM > cooler.
Gpu die(s) > TIM > cooler.
A difference of THREE layers between die(s) and cooler. Each extra layer worsens cooling efficiency.
I would gladly welcome cpus that are sold as naked dies, as it's not going to get much better than that. Sure, the cooler manufacturers would have to design new mounting hardware, but it would pay off.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
A difference of THREE layers between die(s) and cooler. Each extra layer worsens cooling efficiency.
I would gladly welcome cpus that are sold as naked dies, as it's not going to get much better than that. Sure, the cooler manufacturers would have to design new mounting hardware, but it would pay off.
Intel & AMD tried that back in the day, bare naked die packages.
The RMA Headaches weren't worth the extra cooling performance due to end users cracking the dies.
Ergo, IHS FTW.
Makes the CPU more "Idiot Proof".

Reactions: jp7189

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Intel & AMD tried that back in the day, bare naked die packages.
The RMA Headaches weren't worth the extra cooling performance due to end users cracking the dies.
Ergo, IHS FTW.
Makes the CPU more "Idiot Proof".
Before my time then.
The cooler is already on the die with gpus, so dum-dums can't crack those dies - except when they go about messing with thermal pads...

So, some of the same reasons Nvidia started locking down their gpus, making gpu OC worthless for all but XOC.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
It's not so much that, but cpu cooling is crap due to how inefficient it is.
We can already see 500-600w gpus being cooled just fine by big ass air coolers - there's no question that liquid would do fine too - but any cooling can struggle with cpu's that are capable of even half that kind of power draw. How nuts is that?
Cpu die(s) > solder/TIM > IHS > more TIM > cooler.
Gpu die(s) > TIM > cooler.

haven't you had enough of that back in athon XP days when AMD had to cheap with naked dies and foam pads on package ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
haven't you had enough of that back in athon XP days when AMD had to cheap with naked dies and foam pads on package ?
Those are several years before I started getting into DIY PC. Besides, bare die works for gpus, just that a cooler is already on them; no incentive to tamper with them because of that - not after some time anyways.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Those are several years before I started getting into DIY PC. Besides, bare die works for gpus, just that a cooler is already on them; no incentive to tamper with them because of that - not after some time anyways.

fitting coolers on those socket A's was nothing for the feint of heart with the loading the mechanism for heatsink. It's was quite easy to crack a corner on a die and kill the whole cpu. They started adding those pads very early on to help prevent heatsink tilting while it was a being fastened.
On the other after binning final grading was done by lasering off bridges on the top chip package, if you were lucky with a good die, you could simply "upgrade" by chalking over the gap with a graphite pencil lol
cpus.jpg

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Before my time then.
The cooler is already on the die with gpus, so dum-dums can't crack those dies - except when they go about messing with thermal pads...

So, some of the same reasons Nvidia started locking down their gpus, making gpu OC worthless for all but XOC.
CPUs back then were tiny raised dies. Just tighten the cooler screws unevenly could be enough to crack a corner. GPUs feature a metal bracket around the GPU so that no matter how badly you mount the cooler there's no way to get enough angle to crack a die. If CPU makers picked that up I think it would be cheaper for them and harder for the consumers to break it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
CPUs back then were tiny raised dies. Just tighten the cooler screws unevenly could be enough to crack a corner. GPUs feature a metal bracket around the GPU so that no matter how badly you mount the cooler there's no way to get enough angle to crack a die. If CPU makers picked that up I think it would be cheaper for them and harder for the consumers to break it.
I think that would require motherboard redesigns, to which the makers would say, 'too expensive to do right now', or cpus to start coming on their own PCBs, which would still require a redesign.
It sucks.

Jul 7, 2022
fitting coolers on those socket A's was nothing for the feint of heart with the loading the mechanism for heatsink. It's was quite easy to crack a corner on a die and kill the whole cpu. They started adding those pads very early on to help prevent heatsink tilting while it was a being fastened.
On the other after binning final grading was done by lasering off bridges on the top chip package, if you were lucky with a good die, you could simply "upgrade" by chalking over the gap with a graphite pencil lol
cpus.jpg
Bro, I had several pass me down athlon XP’s when I was 8 years old and I changed them out constantly cause I was curious, never once did I chip or break the bare die. If my 8 year old self can do it without problems, then the adults of the time cracking their dies were doing it wrong haha

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Man you are full of libel. CPU’s didn’t need IHSs back then and I’d rather have that now again than deal with this 95C AMD and 100C Intel BS.

which part of it was libel ? those pads weren't there when they started shipping them ( that came about 6 months after launch and with apology from amd too ) and spring loading mechanism on amd at the time was a nightmare. as for IHS, preceeding gen from both Intel and AMD did not have a naked die. And all that came after that oops generation did too :) Intel did have a naked one on socket 370, that's true but i never said they didn't

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
I think that would require motherboard redesigns, to which the makers would say, 'too expensive to do right now', or cpus to start coming on their own PCBs, which would still require a redesign.
It sucks.
The dies do sit on a substrate today. It seems like they could mount a bracket around the edge without too much effort.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Bro, I had several pass me down athlon XP’s when I was 8 years old and I changed them out constantly cause I was curious, never once did I chip or break the bare die. If my 8 year old self can do it without problems, then the adults of the time cracking their dies were doing it wrong haha
So it is doable, and cracking them wasn't a surefire thing.

The dies do sit on a substrate today. It seems like they could mount a bracket around the edge without too much effort.
Delid kits have brackets like those... no real reason they couldn't do something like that.
X299:

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
which part of it was libel ? those pads weren't there when they started shipping them ( that came about 6 months after launch and with apology from amd too ) and spring loading mechanism on amd at the time was a nightmare. as for IHS, preceeding gen from both Intel and AMD did not have a naked die. And all that came after that oops generation did too :) Intel did have a naked one on socket 370, that's true but i never said they didn't
i had quite a few Athllon Xp Socket a cpus as well then, heck, STILL have them sitting in a box in storage, from a 1700+ to a 3200+ barton, and never did it crack a die or damage the cpu in any way, to me sounds like ones that cracked them are at fault, not the cpu.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
i had quite a few Athllon Xp Socket a cpus as well then, heck, STILL have them sitting in a box in storage, from a 1700+ to a 3200+ barton, and never did it crack a die or damage the cpu in any way, to me sounds like ones that cracked them are at fault, not the cpu.

i too have a few athon mp s sitting in the garage myself. It wasn't even the naked die itself being problem , but rather combination of that and spring loading system they chose for socket A before they started adding those foam pads. if your finger or more typically screwdriver slipped latching to the other side of bracket you can easily tilt the heatsink and crack a corner, those pads while not a pretty solution , addressed the issue quite well, but they were weren't shipped with Athlon XPs the first few months.