Asus Announces a 4K Gaming Monitor, the PQ321

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
"While the screen itself is not the thinnest screen on the market, in its class, it is the thinnest 4K UHD monitor to date,"
So it actually is the thinnest screen in it's class.......... Some of these "tech" writers need to take a class on logic.

omgangrybees

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
"So it actually is the thinnest screen in it's class.......... Some of these "tech" writers need to take a class on logic."
You need to take a class in reading comprehension. The writer is saying that it is the thinnest 4k monitor, but is not the thinnest overall monitor on the market.

omgangrybees

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
"So it actually is the thinnest screen in it's class.......... Some of these "tech" writers need to take a class on logic."
You need to take a class in reading comprehension. The writer is saying that it is the thinnest 4k monitor, but is not the thinnest overall monitor on the market.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Well if it's under $ 600.00 and it's a 1 MS display so i can get at least 100FPS then i may have to upgrade. IF not i have no intentions of getting it.

Then I'll say it's just right :p

IMO though, I do think 30-32 inch is an appropriate size for 4K. anything smaller and you can't really appreciate the heightened pixel density, and anything larger, such as 39 inch, would never fit in any office/work setting. if I'm $5-6k for a monitor, it's gonna be used both for work and play lol

I think it's a matter of budget, since few gamer has a big enough wallet to buy a 4K monitor even for $2-2.5K. and those who do have the budget tend to have gotten into some sort of professional work anyway. going from gaming to making games/3D content or creative graphic design is rather common

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Ok, Niels, you use the word "gaming" quite a bit to describe this monitor. You've pulled this word completely from your ass. There is no mention of gaming anywhere on the original article from techpowerup.
It's not a gaming monitor. It's just a monitor. A monitor that runs 3840 x 2160 resolution. Nothing "gaming" about it at all. If anything, the connectivity and features would suggest that this is a multi-media monitor: PiP, built in speakers, multiple points of connectivity via HDMI/Displayport.
Also, an 8ms response time would be something most gamers would shy away from (especially shooters).
You basically copy everything on their article and add in the word gaming (which you've pulled from your ass).
Good job.

Don't worry, by the time graphics cards can easily run 4k resolution the monitors themselves will be much cheaper. Probably be a couple years before they become mainstream and cheaper.

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
@hakesterman Just to give you some perspective, it takes the human body/brain about 80ms just to realize anything. If you're poked by a friend on the arm, you don't even have a clue for, on average, about 80ms. So, really, 8ms isn't that slow. :p
More info here: http://tinyurl.com/4yxn5qw (wanted to keep the link short).

that's mostly based on cognitive understanding. however, with enough training, hardcore FPS players develop something similar to a reflex reaction. in short, the player will "point and click" on anything that looks like an enemy before their brain actually registers what happened XD

of course, personally I don't have anywhere near that kind of training, and to me, 8ms, great color and contrast, and 4K res would be the perfect monitor for casual games, movies, and work

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

You can develop fast reflexes (playing 200 hours of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has sort of made me "twitchy" with my fingers when I see things move lol) but it still takes the brain ~80ms to process anything. It would take even longer than that 80ms for you to register it as something you recognize. I stopped playing hardcore (BFBC2 again) because I kept shooting my teammates because I shot anything that moved all the time ahaha

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Lol you should probably put some "sarcasm" tags so someone doesn't think think you're serious... xP

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
YES what ive been waiting for, something to upgrade my 2 yr old 30" 2560 x 1600 display and will need a second gtx 780 I'm sure to game on it.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
YES what ive been waiting for, something to upgrade my 2 yr old 30" 2560 x 1600 display and will need a second gtx 780 I'm sure to game on it.

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I wonder how much GPU power I'd need to render Crysis 3 on it's highest settings at 40 + fps on this thing...I hope GPUs will start pumping out more performance per dollar once 4k becomes mainstream.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
at 31 inches the pixle dencity is to high and you have to scale the ui... which is why i will never get a 4k monitor unless its around 48 inches.

i have a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor, the only way i see pixles is if its either an extreme contrast, or if i am so close my nose it touching the screen...

if i have to scale the ui just so i can see things without a magnifying glass, why would i get a 4k screen when a 2560x1600 would be in the same size range, but far cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.