Asus Announces AMD Congo-powered Eee PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]tpill90[/nom]Lo and behold, we are just back to an ultra-mobile PC. Just with a different name.[/citation]
You apparently missed the bus on that one... UMPC's were 4-6" screens. About the size of the old sega game gear. You're thinking in the wrong direction.

maniac5999

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]C) According to the info I'm reading, AMD's MV40 is dual-core and fully 64bit. If only there were some indication that it was being made at 45nm...[/citation]

The MV-40 is a single core K8 running at 1.6ghz, I believe it has 512 K of L2, and is made at 65nm, but am not completely sure of the L2 or process. AMD is very sorely in need of a new architecture.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]maniac5999[/nom]The MV-40 is a single core K8 running at 1.6ghz, I believe it has 512 K of L2, and is made at 65nm, but am not completely sure of the L2 or process. AMD is very sorely in need of a new architecture.[/citation]
Ah, looks like you're right. The source I was using has been corrected. Damn, a dual-core netbook would have blown the competition away in terms of sheer performance. It still might, if it's only going up against single-core Atoms with the Intel graphics chips. Problem is it'll be a power hog and probably run hot: at 45nm they probably could have gotten away with it, but I think they're devoting all of their capacity at that process to the newer Phenom/Athlon II chips.

maniac5999

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Well, I did some more digging, and apparently MSi's busy getting ready to sell a similar laptop, the Wind U230, also with a 12" screen and HD 3200...but It's got the L335!!!! It looks really sweet, a true dual core netbook with decent graphics. It is still at 65nm, however, and unfortunately it is a power hog, (4 hours reported, 3:12 observed in video playback tests) but it is still awesome to get REAL computing power in a netbook. I'm tempted to buy, but I'm trying as hard as possible to hold out for 45nm. (AMD reports their 3rd gen. ultrathin will come out 1st half 2010 in 45nm, and *may* include a 5000 series IGP)

Status
Not open for further replies.