Asus Announces EeePC Tablets, the Eee Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am waiting for what stupid name apple is going to make the norm next. now everyone is going to be calling tablets after the ipad.

still i would rather get the asus one than the apple tablet. also here's hoping the asus tablet will have more space than 64GB.

mel_gibson_

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Let me guess - it won't come with any applications, but you can purchase programs for it for 10x the price of a corresponding iPad app. With a battery life half of that of an iPad. I'm no Apple fan boy by any measure (I once called it "the evil empire" to an Apple executive's face), but I'm categorizing this as vaporware, along with the HP Slate, until I see a unit up for sale.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i am waiting for what stupid name apple is going to make the norm next. now everyone is going to be calling tablets after the ipad.[/citation]
To be fair, "tablet" applied to actual rather than concept hardware almost always meant a traditional laptop with a swivel screen to hide the keyboard called "tablet PCs." Those have been around in real hardware form for years, but usually sold in small numbers, so calling the keyboardless versions "tablets" might have saddled them with consumer preconceptions.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
well... if it's win7 I'd assume it's pretty easy to load the thing with open source and/or free software for those worried about the price of programs to load the thing with

again, I'm only assuming

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
What's with the "xPad" names.

Why not call it something like: Asus View, EGo, or CarEEE.

Quit following Apple's lackluster nomenclature already, it's getting old.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]because some people rather have a tablet that has more the feel of a netbook than a crippled OS from a smart phone[/citation]
OK, agreed but why not make it an option. At least it will cost less, the battery life will last longer, it'll operate and boot faster and I could have the choice. I wouldn't say Android is crippled. Does a heck of a lot, and as of this month will support Flash.

etrom

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]well... if it's win7 I'd assume it's pretty easy to load the thing with open source and/or free software for those worried about the price of programs to load the thing withagain, I'm only assuming[/citation]

I agree. Having a full flavor of Windows 7 and also a CULV C2D(should be a CULV i-series anyways) on the 12-inch model, you'll be able to install anything you want it.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]because some people rather have a tablet that has more the feel of a netbook than a crippled OS from a smart phone[/citation]
Oh yes, and I forgot because most people buy Tablets because they must sit on the train or bus and formulate complex documents that must be compiled in MS Office or AutoCAD or some other Windows proprietary OS, aided by the lack of a keyboard. I guess I am in the minority, cos I like tablets for their convenience to browse the web (with Flash), read a book, watch movies and listen to music - hey I can do that with Android!

[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]OK, agreed but why not make it an option. At least it will cost less, the battery life will last longer, it'll operate and boot faster and I could have the choice. I wouldn't say Android is crippled. Does a heck of a lot, and as of this month will support Flash.[/citation]

think of it this way if it is going to be like a netbook than there may be a way to uninstall windows and put on the OS of choice

[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Oh yes, and I forgot because most people buy Tablets because they must sit on the train or bus and formulate complex documents that must be compiled in MS Office or AutoCAD or some other Windows proprietary OS, aided by the lack of a keyboard. I guess I am in the minority, cos I like tablets for their convenience to browse the web (with Flash), read a book, watch movies and listen to music - hey I can do that with Android![/citation]

most people rather have an OS on something that they can do everything they want other than an OS that just came out that can be very limited in what they can do with it. for me i don't want to spend over 200-400 bucks on something just to browse the web.

but to each his own

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Of course. As soon as something NON-Apple comes out at the same starting price point of the iPad, no one complains about the price. Way to go, you supposedly "un-biased" people. I'm not a fan of the iPad, I prefer my Samsung Moment/Android, but I'm pointing out the obvious bias here.

In any case, Eee Pads: Easy tampons for those temperamental fanbois.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]most people rather have an OS on something that they can do everything they want other than an OS that just came out that can be very limited in what they can do with it. for me i don't want to spend over 200-400 bucks on something just to browse the web.but to each his own[/citation]
im going to completely side with this comment. forget crippled phone OSes. no matter what people say, they are just too limited.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]Of course. As soon as something NON-Apple comes out at the same starting price point of the iPad, no one complains about the price. Way to go, you supposedly "un-biased" people. I'm not a fan of the iPad, I prefer my Samsung Moment/Android, but I'm pointing out the obvious bias here.In any case, Eee Pads: Easy tampons for those temperamental fanbois.[/citation]

Compare the cpu's, screen size, then wait for the final specs, compare again, re-read the definition of bias in a dictionary, then re-post

zipchart bea

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I have an EMR product and my clients (doctors) are looking for a fast, lightweight, tablet/slate/pad (whatever name you prefer) that will function all day. Machines that will allow them to view & write on PDF files, watch videos in flash, and if it had a build in 8 megapixel camera that would be awesome.
The iPad doesn't come close, well at least not yet. Hopefully the computer manufactures will see that while there is a segment of the populations that will use the pads as a entertainment items (books, videos, etc.) there is great potential for business applications on these smaller, lightweight, machines with full operating systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.