Asus Announces New 60 Hz ProArt PA328Q 4K Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I hope this is under a grand...But I doubt it. No gsync means I'll pass anyway. You'll need two cards or more to push this thing and even then you'll likely be barely over 30fps in a lot of games (hence the need for something like gsync to help you out). I'm guessing this will be around $1500+.

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Why is everyone stuck on G-Sync, it's just a gimmick, FreeSync, that was proposed by AMD is essentially the same thing but not GPU brand restricted and doesn't require extra hardware inside the display.

And no I'm not an AMD FanBoi, I'm running 2x GTX 680s in my rig, I just believe things should be built on open standards that benefit all, not just one. As in developing games in OpenCL instead of DirectX so they're more easily transferred over to other platforms and aren't locked to Windows.

Overall, I'd say G-sync is a gimmick that will make Nvidia money at the cost of your own wallet. unless you have oodles of spare cash it's not worthwhile paying the extra for a proprietary system. besides, OEMs are less likely to produce nice products for it.

That aside, the cost of having a 4K system for gaming is still too high currently. even if you buy into the market with say 780ti SLI (or 290X crossfire), plus say a $1.5 - 2.0k monitor, you'll still end up averaging under 60fps for some games. I've personally wanted to do this earlier in the year but decided to go m-ITX for my upgrade this year instead. will wait for 4k-OLED in perhaps 2018. by then graphics technology should have matured for 4k

Traciatim

Distinguished
Joaompp, as far as I understood is G-Sync and FreeSync performa similar tasks but are fundamentally different. Where Freesync can tell teh monitor how long to wait until the next refresh up front it doesn't actually control the sync directly. That means you are still going to have to have a triple buffer in the case of frame sync misses, and I'm also kind of concerned about small judder between frames.

G-Sync instead directly controls the monitor and tells it when the frame is ready to be displayed and then initiates the sync, thus eliminating the need for the triple buffer which will get you on average a frame close to the action so it solves both the delay between your input and the action as well as tearing.

Also, G-Sync seems like it's just around the corner, where FreeSync has only just started so it will probably be more than a year away from products. As long as one gets here and actually works to make the game smoother I've already set aside my cash for the new monitor since the one thing I Can't stand with PC gaming is always having to choose between input delay, studder, or tearing.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Spoken like someone who hasn't seen it or apparently read the reviews. Nobody that has seen it thinks it's a gimmick (not even AMD loving Anandtech). It is a REAL solution to an age old problem (3 problems actually). Until scalers are made AMD will face the same as NV which is why they made the module in the first place. I don't understand why people think it's expensive. You live with your monitor for 5-7yrs for most people (7+ for me now) and with them being integrated in monitors shortly from many vendors it won't be the same $100 as you are not purchasing and tossing a scaler like before. I doubt the price difference will be more than $50 for any brand as I'll show below already today. Smooth gaming is NOT a gimmick.

It's comic you say that as I'm sure you read toms/anandtech etc reviews and they were ALL glowing. Let me know when AMD gets a freesync product out the door from anyone ;) Those scaler upgrades won't be free either...LOL. Anyone thinking FREEsync is free is ignoring reality. Scaler companies will charge for the NEW R&D they have to do to upgrade. That R&D is NOT FREE. Get it? I suspect monitors will be hiked $20-100 for it on debut also as like NV they must recoup the R&D costs at the very least from EARLY adopters. It's only FREE on AMD's side, it is NOT free on the scaler designer side. AMD created nothing here, it was already there in eDP, and isn't a FULL solution until proven (lag will likely still be a problem, but it remains to be seen).

Haters gonna hate I guess...Oodles of cash is $100 or less to you? ROFL. How can you even say something so ridiculous in the same post saying you'd like to be buying an upgrade that is over ~$1000 for SLI cards you mention and another $1500-2000 for the monitor...You make absolutely ZERO sense. If you have that kind of money to even PONDER that upgrade $100 means nothing for glass smooth gaming for the life of that monitor. By xmas Gsync will be on all major brands (they already have them coming) and competition will make it cheap quickly as they all try to get our xmas money. Viewsonic, Philips, Benq, Asus, AOC etc will mean a decent price war is well on the way.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/30.htm#aoc_g2460pg
I don't think US AOC model will be that expensive as UK is always getting screwed compared to usa. :) 144hz 24in gsync with all features (dp, usb3, lightboost etc,ULMB). Lightboost is kind of useless to me as I don't like 3D in much of anything, but some want it. ULMB & Gsync gives you a lot of flexibility depending on the game and what you desire. Neither is a gimmick. One for higher fps & consistency, the other for low.

http://www.amazon.com/VG278HE-27-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00906HM6K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401734365&sr=1-1&keywords=Asus+VG278H
Asus 27in gsync $372. Wow, expensive and takes oodles of cash...ROFLMAO. That is far less than the $650 I paid for my dell 7yrs ago and it's a 24in. I'd say Gsync is already cheap right now, and by xmas these will have another 10 models to compete with. It will be called cheaposync by then...LOL. Clearly there will be many models within reach of most buyers. My only hope is that someone puts out a 1600p 27in+ but that's hard to find in anything these days.

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/list-of-gsync-monitors/
The list is of monitors is growing for 2014. Only big names left are samsung/lg/acer and I'm sure they'll be announcing soon also.

Explain to me how no stutter, lag or tearing is a gimmick? I'm confused. We all want all 3. You must think freesync is a gimmick also? You like lag, stutter and tearing I guess? I'm confused by your lack of logic here. I'm also confused that you expect NV to spend R&D and give the tech away for free. That's how you lose $6Billion+ over 10yrs like AMD. You don't seem to understand what a business is supposed to do; MAKE MONEY by producing products people desire.

Explain to me why OEM's would not product "nice" products for gsync? Again, you're not making sense here. AMD's solution (if it works right for all 3 problems) is probably a year off maybe more if scaler companies refuse to comply due to R&D costs that NV has already done. IF NV decides to license it (for a cost of course, they paid R&D just like scaler makers will) gsync will become even more widespread and save them all time and money.

Overall I think you're the gimmick ;) Your statements defy logic (I hear spoc in my head now...LOL).

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Joaompp, as far as I understood is G-Sync and FreeSync performa similar tasks but are fundamentally different. Where Freesync can tell teh monitor how long to wait until the next refresh up front it doesn't actually control the sync directly. That means you are still going to have to have a triple buffer in the case of frame sync misses, and I'm also kind of concerned about small judder between frames.

G-Sync instead directly controls the monitor and tells it when the frame is ready to be displayed and then initiates the sync, thus eliminating the need for the triple buffer which will get you on average a frame close to the action so it solves both the delay between your input and the action as well as tearing.

Also, G-Sync seems like it's just around the corner, where FreeSync has only just started so it will probably be more than a year away from products. As long as one gets here and actually works to make the game smoother I've already set aside my cash for the new monitor since the one thing I Can't stand with PC gaming is always having to choose between input delay, studder, or tearing.

nVidia fanboi right there, happy to pay that 20% premium for similar monitor with the G-Sync chip, plus the added requirement of having newer Nvidia GPUs. Probably thinks that proprietary software like GameWorks which intentionally slows down competitor's GPUs is good for the industry. Anyone who thinks nVidia isn't doing it intentionally doesn't really know nVidia's history all that well.

Do you like that fact that nVidia has essentially doubled the cost of their highest end gpu by double? Yeah, I'm talking about GTX 580 to GTX Titan Disparity. What about the price disparity between GTX Titan Black and the GTX 780Ti.

I'm not saying AMD is any better, but I would at least like them to stay afloat to keep nVidia's pricing in check, by supporting their proprietary features we aren't helping anyone except continuous price gouging in the dGPU market.

And just for clarification, I would be for G-Sync if it wasn't a proprietary format. There's no reason why they can't let competitor's GPUs work with the feature. Same thing with Physx.

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
http://www.amazon.com/VG278HE-27-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00906HM6K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401734365&sr=1-1&keywords=Asus+VG278H
Asus 27in gsync $372. Wow, expensive and takes oodles of cash...ROFLMAO. That is far less than the $650 I paid for my dell 7yrs ago and it's a 24in. I'd say Gsync is already cheap right now, and by xmas these will have another 10 models to compete with. It will be called cheaposync by then...LOL. Clearly there will be many models within reach of most buyers. My only hope is that someone puts out a 1600p 27in+ but that's hard to find in anything these days.

The only monitor you linked, and it doesn't have Gsync, it's just a 144hz 3D monitor. Considering you can get the same 27in monitor, albeit with 60hz instead of 144hz, for $240, there's a $130 price difference, and that's at discounted prices, the one you linked actually started off at $480 dollars upon release, not including the extra you'd have to shell out for glasses.

So let's do the math shall we?
Same shitty TN panels, probably start off at 60hz, 1080p monitors without it probably cost $150-250. Probably with Gsync...going to hit $350-450 depending on size.

Want to bump up to 4k? Samsung and Asus both have panels around ~$650 now, with Gsync, expect another $200-300 markup.

AND to top it off, you still HAVE to have a newer nVidia GPU.

Yes many manufacturers are making monitors with Gsync, not because it's going to be earth shattering or amazing, but because they know nVidia has the GPU market share and that fanbois will buy the crap just because of the label. They're making them because they're pretty much guaranteed to sell, and that these monitors will have a significantly higher profit margin.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Guys this is a ProArt Monitor, not a gaming monitor. I own 3 ProArts, and love them.

They are geared towards the photography and video Cinematography. neartly every feature this thing has is for color reproduction, and photo manipulation, and print. I just hope this is affordable. If it cost more than my DSLR, it will not be a good buy.. I say $899 is reasonable.

ichigokunbaka

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
10 bit panel sounds crappy to me ill save my $'s till there is uniform quality between hardware software and panel otherwise it is just an apple newton fail written all ove it

Traciatim

Distinguished

What the heck are you talking about? Most panels are 6-bit or 8-bit... 10-bit is a pretty large advantage, not a problem.

"Asus has announced a 4K monitor that will run at the full 60 Hz off a single cable."

Well, we haven't had those for a fair while or anything. The headline should really have been "ASUS release a monitor that actually has HDMI 2.0, no really guys".

hannibal

Distinguished
Guys this is a ProArt Monitor, not a gaming monitor. I own 3 ProArts, and love them.

If it cost more than my DSLR, it will not be a good buy.. I say $899 is reasonable.

Well if this is IPS monitor, it will cost something like 3000$ like other 32" at this moment... Have to wait a couple of years at least so see these under 1000$. Even 1440 monitors cost more, if they are for photo editing!

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

OOPS, I believed amazon...LOL. That's just what comes up with g-sync search. It doesn't matter though, they won't be severely overpriced any more than one with Freesync will due to a SCALER being updated in those just like with the gsync module. It will be no different. You pay for bleeding edge more than the same without, wow, shocker. As the list of one coming shows there are many and that will lower pricing fairly quickly.

You haven't seen it, or you wouldn't be saying bad things about it. You act as though it is fake, while NO review site has said that after seeing it. ZERO. Hate NV much? The tech works. You don't need glasses for Gsync, just 3d crap which I find pointless as I've said already (I don't like 3D anything, most don't which is why it was absent from the show floor this year).

You need a monitor and AMD recent card also. How is this different? My 5850 won't be running on whatever AMD puts out and neither will my monitor. So AMD sucks too? Every thing you said applied directly to AMD's version also. New monitor, new card, price hikes. I won't be buying it due to being a fanboy (radeon 5850 here...LOL). I'll buy it because it's the best solution and will be a year early if not more. By the time xmas rolls around (or after I buy my Maxwell) I'll have a bunch of options while you wait I guess for what you think will be FREEsync. $20 says it's nowhere near free either. :) Scratch that, $1m says it won't be free ;) Also as NV couldn't get scaler people to make a move, there is no guarantee ANY of them EVER will for AMD, especially if gsync takes off and NV licenses it out after they perfect it for more monitors (there is a reason they went with ONE to test on from Asus). Even if they do it, they'll charge for it since the R&D certainly isn't free and something tells me it isn't easy or we wouldn't be having this conversation because it would have been done YEARS ago right? If it was easy they would have rolled it out to all monitors even with gsync. So the fact that NV had to do it per monitor it seems, will mean you're going to pay period.

You don't think the end of stuttering, tearing and lag is earth shattering? Smooth as butter gaming isn't nice? You must be joking. Review sites completely disagree with you. They won't all be TN panels either. But as a gamer, IPS has it's problems and that is why TN panels are the gaming models. Anandtech called it a "GAME CHANGER" and they hate Nvidia. Tomshardware said similar, pcper, etc. The list of people saying it rocked is long. Find me a review of the technology that says "this crap sucks". Just ONE of someone who USED it or saw it at the shows in action.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7436/nvidias-gsync-attempting-to-revolutionize-gaming-via-smoothness
"NVIDIA ran through a couple of demos to show the benefits of G-Sync, and they were awesome."
Anandtech has no NV love.
"I can't stress enough just how smooth the G-Sync experience was, it's a game changer."
"The combination of technologies like GeForce Experience, having a ton of GPU performance and G-Sync can really work together to deliver a new level of smoothness, image quality and experience in games. We've seen a resurgence of PC gaming over the past few years, but G-Sync has the potential to take the PC gaming experience to a completely new level."

"It's sort of ridiculous and completely changes the overall user experience. Drops in frame rate no longer have to be drops in smoothness. Game devs relying on the presence of G-Sync can throw higher quality effects at a scene since they don't need to be as afraid of drops in frame rate excursions below 60 fps."

I hate quoting Anand Shimpi these days, but jeez. He's pretty clear what it does and what a dev can do while working with it is pretty awesome.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/g-sync-v-sync-monitor,3699.html
Title of the page? "G-Sync Technology Preview: Quite Literally A Game Changer"
"Even before we jump into the hands-on testing, we have to commend the creative approach to solving a very real problem affecting gaming on the PC. This is innovation at its finest."
"The impact varies by title, but once you see it, you cannot ignore what was going on previously that you were subconsciously disregarding."

So everyone is wrong...We should all believe the AMD fanboy ;)

I could keep going but you should get the point. Even an AMD Portal site like anandtech couldn't get over how great it was. You can hate on NV all you want, hate on the cost, blah blah, but the tech works and unlike AMD at this point, is PROVEN in real world gaming and very flexible as they showed while lowering fps and still running smooth etc while the same machine with it off was a mess. I might wait for IPS (but I have some pro needs) to see how that pans out but if it doesn't I can see myself perhaps going with a high end TN model as they get better and better. Either way I can't wait for smooth gaming and a longer life card due to that effect as my next gpu ages. As anand said, it looks like you're seeing 60fps constant even when you know you're not. Even if all it did was allow devs to throw tons of effects at the screen without worrying about dips, that would be probably enough for me and it is clearly much more than that already.

Status
Not open for further replies.