Asus Announces Super-slim $200 Eee PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]lunyone[/nom]Give me an AMD Bobcat cored EEE PC w/2-4 gb's of RAM and 1280 x 800 or better screen (>12" screen too) for around $300-350 and I'll buy one.[/citation]
... fusion FTW!!!

bennix86

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
wow!this is really good for mobility.i like this model since this is very portable for doing networking task..:)

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]lunyone[/nom]Give me an AMD Bobcat cored EEE PC w/2-4 gb's of RAM and 1280 x 800 or better screen (>12" screen too) for around $300-350 and I'll buy one.[/citation]

Or hows about what this computer is without the extra ram and bigger display for $200? This whole "I'll buy one if it has a bigger screen and more ram" was the entire reason you had to pony up $500 for a laptop with a battery life of over 2 hours and had more than a gig of ram.

I'd love to see this with a low power fusion APU as well though.

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Yeah, the 1024 x 600 resolution kills it for me. I had the original 10" eeePC, and that's not enough to browse the web at.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Since Tom's Hardware is too lazy to post the specs:

ASUS Eee PC X101 Netbook Features

•10.1-inch display with a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels
•Based on Intel Oak Trail platform
•Powered by a 1.5GHz Atom Z670 single-core processor
•Equipped with GMA 600 integrated graphics
•Runs on Windows 7 or MeeGo OS
•Supports 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity option
•A hard drive or solid state drive
•3.5mm headphone jack
•Two USB ports
•Includes 6-cell battery
•A chiclet keyboard & web camera

G

In Singapore, the vendors treat us as if we'd pirate if they don't give Windows with their hardware. I really want a Meebo or whatever Linux-based one with a Fusion processor. Then I'd install either ubuntu or fedora and use it happily. Sigh. International readers, please notice our humiliating experiences of treating like thieves.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Getting back to their roots. I love it. Cheap, sufficiently powerful and lots of options. Just wish they had an 8.9" version too, and an option to install a nice long lasting 6 cell battery.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Since Tom's Hardware is too lazy to post the specs:ASUS Eee PC X101 Netbook Features•10.1-inch display with a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels•Based on Intel Oak Trail platform•Powered by a 1.5GHz Atom Z670 single-core processor•Equipped with GMA 600 integrated graphics•Runs on Windows 7 or MeeGo OS•Supports 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity option•A hard drive or solid state drive•3.5mm headphone jack•Two USB ports•Includes 6-cell battery•A chiclet keyboard & web camera[/citation]

Correction runs Windows or Linux (Ubuntu) and the others, not just MeeGo.
Ubuntu would be the first thing I would put on it.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Meego is the Linux-based OS developed for mobile devices by Intel and Nokia.
I find this interesting, I didn't know these two companies were in the PC OS business (cell phone OS for Nokia is a different deal).

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
You people need to put your brains into the correct spectrum. This is NOT supposed to be a power house or gaming unit.

This is basically a cell phone with a very large screen. It could do better on the CPU, by running a slightly more powerful, yet more power efficient option, but that would probably cost more.

The only purpose of this machine, is for internet access and network functionality.

So instead of pinch to zooming everything on your phone, you could instead be doing it on this, while having a battery that lasts for a very long time.

So.....for that intended purpose, and now that we understand what this is made and targeted for; $200 is a decent deal and it doesn't look too shabby ( considering the fact that you could toss Ubuntu on it, it looks even sweeter).

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Nice Super-slim Eee PC and the price is very tempting, but hope It had a bigger battery, a bigger HDD, an AMD processor (latest Brazos E-450) and a bigger display (13.3” is perfect).
For these additional specs I would be glad to pay $350 for the whole setup.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]$200 is cheap, but Windows is an absolute requirement for me.[/citation]

Then buy a cheap version of Windows. If Windows was included in the price, then you'd instantly have to tack off roughly $50, even for a OEM. Meaning they'd have to sacrifice even more in the hardware department, which just isn't possible.

Still, for less than $300, you have a very functional Windows/Linux machine.

sandals

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
About a year and a half ago, I bought a 7" Eee with the 8 GB flash drive for $140. With 512 MB and a slow 8 GB disk (think flash instead of SSD performance), it was unusable with XP. I upped the RAM to 2 GB and put Linux on it, and it has become a really nice machine to carry around or lay in bed with.

If the disk on this one performs more like a SSD instead of flash, this will be a really nice upgrade for that class of machine, and I'd strongly consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.