Asus Announces USB-powered Full HD Portable Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Yay! Finally a portable 1080p USB powered screen. I've been waiting for this one since Engadget mentioned it at Computex. According to that article, the 1080p screen should cost around $209 and weight 1.8 pounds if plans hasn't changed. Glad to see it's compatible with USB 2.0 too. I'm still wishing for the Lenovo ThinkVision LT1423p for it's wacom pen, touchscreen and wireless connectivity though.

G

If I was still running 60hz screens, this would definitely be something I'd be interested in. Once you go 120hz+, you never go back...

"Both models use a single USB 3.0 port for video and power and are backwards compatible with USB 2.0"
Wait... For power and VIDEO? USB is a bit slow for video.
I think it would be kind of laggy. I would prefer that it would just have a VGA or DVI input

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

DVI single link - 3.96 Gb/s
USB 3.0 - 5.0 Gb/s

But that is raw bandwidth. USB cannot transfer raw video because the host's GPU cannot output to USB.
That means the monitor most likely has its own its own video controller making it much slower.

praeses

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
From my understanding it is more like USB is used to connect to the graphics processor in the display so it would be more like:

PCI-e 1.1 1x 250MB/s
USB 3.0 5.0Gb/s (400MB/s+ in practice)

Either way, there is plenty to spare.

InvalidError

Titan

Most laptops' graphics can barely handle gaming on the laptop's primary display so there is no point arguing about it being slower than the laptop's built-in GPU/IGP.

Most people who would carry an add-on display with their laptop would do so for productivity and presentations, not for 3D gaming. For video playback, USB3 has more than enough bandwidth to handle raw host-decoded video at 1920x1080p hi10 at 60fps so no problem there either.

tranzparentl

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Close but no cigar. I am still waiting for a wifi touchscreen monitor that I can use like a tablet but is a monitor for my desktop. Lenovo announced one and then never released it.... http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/lenovo-thinkvision-lt1423p-mobile-monitor/

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
hmm. watched the video.. indeed being able to use this with a phone over MHL would be sweet.. and touch would seal the deal. I like that it is thin and light but it looks so cheap and fragile that it would probably end up folded in half in less than a week.

washerebefore

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Where can u buy this?? Newegg does not have it nor Amazon as of today .. don't see it listed on USA ASUS web site either?

thanks invaliderror.. I'll be watching

washerebefore

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
I saw the non-1080P version on Newegg. c o m the other day .. was not as good as this one and usb only.. uses similar model # without the +

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I love it, i cant wait for a wireless version with touch screen. Then i can use my windows phone with Threshhold Update and keep a PC in my pocket at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.