Question ASUS Anti-Surge during wow only

Nov 30, 2019
Hi there,

for a few days now my PC has been randomly shutting off with the ASUS Anti Surge message. I initially purchased a new powersupply as my old one was fairly ancient (7 years old) and I assumed that was the problem. I got the corsair TX650m but the problem persisted. I tried rolling back graphics drivers e.t.c but long story short I realised that it only seems to happen with WoW open, after a seemingly random period of time. I can find evidence online of this happening to other people but never solutions.

I've monitored my temperatures using HWMonitor, and as I only play league and wow I notice that the GPU temperature spikes to 75-80C when playing wow, but hovers at 65ish doing anything else. It still doesn't automatically turn off though reaching 80. In fact the last one I happened to be watching the monitor and it was at 75.

Any ideas?

Full build:

PSU: TX650M
GPU: 980 Ti
CPU: i7-6700k
Motherboard: Z170-A

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Also total up the full wattage requirements for all components on your PC and add 25%. How close to 650 is that end total wattage?

I also recommend that you google "Asus Anti Surge".

There seems to be many "hits" within the last year and it may be informative to you to read some of website's content.

You may discover some additional information or relevant factors to consider.

Nov 30, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Also total up the full wattage requirements for all components on your PC and add 25%. How close to 650 is that end total wattage?

I also recommend that you google "Asus Anti Surge".

There seems to be many "hits" within the last year and it may be informative to you to read some of website's content.

You may discover some additional information or relevant factors to consider.

Hey,

I added my build now. And I had a 650W power supply for 4+ years with no problems on the same components.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU's do degrade over time. Through both use and designed EOL (End-of-Life).

Failure can be a slow degradation or suddenly catastrophic.

4+ years is aging for a PSU.

All might work very well until some threshold value/conditions and then problems occur.

Heat is a factor: once hot = problems, cools down works okay for a while....

Nov 30, 2019
Okay, but that doesn't explain why the problem is persistent on a new PSU (gotten a few days ago). Also just triggered it again while watching afterburner, was at 65C less than a minute before the crash. I've tried to set a more aggressive fan curve in afterburner but im a bit scared to set the GPU temp limit higher than 83. Is this safe? If i put it to say 86.

Nov 30, 2019
Still getting this issue, im not sure it's a cooling problem anymore as now again it triggered anti surge at 65C GPU and 40C CPU. At a real loss, could it just be a MOBO problem with the board?