[SOLVED] Asus anti surge protection causing PC to restart

ashborne

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Hi Folks,

I have recently added 5 ARGB fans set with an RGB controller. Since then whenever I am trying to overclock my GPU: GTX 1060 6GB I am getting a power surge shut down as I start any graphics-intensive game. My current config:

Mobo: Asus H97 Gamer Pro
CPU: Intel i5 4440
HDD: 2 SATA HDD ~ 7200 RPM
RAM: 2* 8GB 1867Hz DDR3 RAM
5 Body Fan with RGB Controler
Gaming KB and Gaming Mouse
Current PSU: Corsair CX600

Any help? Do I need to change my PSU?

Thanks and Regards

Solution
You are absolutely correct. The GPU could be OC'ed without any issue before adding new fans. I wanted an advise whether this implies that my PSU is not capable to handle the power requirement?

Well, it doesn't make sense. See, ARGB actually uses +5V. Your graphics card uses +12V. And that PSU doesn't use DC to DC, so it's not like EVERYTHING is coming from the +12V to start with.

That said, it's an older, entry level PSU. Might be time to upgrade and just remove all doubt.
It's not Anti-Surge causing a reboot. It's a reboot causing Ant-Surge telling you that the PC rebooted.

So everything worked until you added five ARGB fans? Or everything worked until you overclocked your GPU?

Also, there were three different generations of CX600 (each with a different part number) with the newest of the three being discontinued about 76 years ago. So I'm a little surprised you're still using that PSU and it still works at all.

ashborne

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
It's not Anti-Surge causing a reboot. It's a reboot causing Ant-Surge telling you that the PC rebooted.

So everything worked until you added five ARGB fans? Or everything worked until you overclocked your GPU?

Also, there were three different generations of CX600 (each with a different part number) with the newest of the three being discontinued about 76 years ago. So I'm a little surprised you're still using that PSU and it still works at all.
It started after I overclocked it and not after the ARGB fans were added. About the generation, I seriously don't have the knowledge about it. I bought it around 2012.

ashborne

Honorable
Mar 20, 2014
Ok... So I asked you if it happened after adding the fans or after OCing the graphics card. And YOU SAID it was after OCing the graphics card.

But now you're saying that you could OC the graphics card BEFORE installing the new fans.
You are absolutely correct. The GPU could be OC'ed without any issue before adding new fans. I wanted an advise whether this implies that my PSU is not capable to handle the power requirement?

Well, it doesn't make sense. See, ARGB actually uses +5V. Your graphics card uses +12V. And that PSU doesn't use DC to DC, so it's not like EVERYTHING is coming from the +12V to start with.

That said, it's an older, entry level PSU. Might be time to upgrade and just remove all doubt.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS