[SOLVED] Asus anti-surge triggered and random crashes

Jan 24, 2019
I understand that this [strike]thread[/strike] problem has been [strike]made[/strike] discussed before and I would like to have some help as I cannot solve the issue myself. (Full parts list at the bottom).

I recently installed an AMD Radeon Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ and a new 750w PSU since my 500w was not capable of providing enough power. Once I first installed my RX 580 I was still using my 500w PSU, I turned on the PC and everything was fine but once I was logging into windows the fuse in the power cable blew. I replaced the fuse and turned it back on, it didn't. I tested the PSU and it had bricked, great I thought so I bought a new 750w power supply from amazon.

I fitted the new PSU, plugged in all the cables and booted the PC, it turned on and worked fine or so I thought. FFW around a week or two later to when I'm writing this, I have encounter a few PC crashes, some due to Asus anti-surge and some are unexplained (as in there is no explanation by the BIOS on startup and no dialog box is open when I log in).

So far I have searched for possible solutions that don't require me to replace my PSU again as I would prefer not to as another solution might be easier.

The solutions I have tried are: unplugging and plugging in my 24-pin motherboard cable, unplugging the 6-pin from the RX 580 (leaving only the 8-pin), and removing the overclock on the GPU and CPU. So far nothing has worked.

A solution that I have seen to the Anti-surge crash is turning that off as apparently it is not very reliable. However I have not done this as I want to make sure that an actual power surge is my problem instead of damaging parts (from what I've read it triggers if the PSU supplies a lower voltage then a quick standard increase which should be fine but it triggers the Anti-surge protection).

I do not know of any solution to the random unexplained crashes and would like to find out why it is happening.

Both of the crashes I have only appear when at high loads as I found out as that is the only way I can replicate it. I used FurMark to stress test and after running it for almost 2 minutes ASUS anti-surge once again triggered. when playing games it crashes only when under high load areas (such as loading new terrain or high density particles).

I also have my PC plugged into an extension lead as well as two monitors and would not able to have them both of them and the PC plugged in at the same time.

I would like to find out the solution to both of these problems and would like to provide more information if necessary.

PSU - here
Motherboard - ASUS p8z77-v
CPU - Intel 3570k (LGA-1155 socket)
CPU fan - Cooler master hyper 212 EVO
GPU - AMD Radeon Sapphire RX580 Nitro+
RAM - 2x 8GB DDR3 sticks
Storage - 1x Toshiba 1TB hard drive, 1x SanDisk 120GB SSD (with windows installed on), 1x SanDisk 240GB SSD
Monitors - 1x BenQ GW2260 (HDMI), 1x BenQ GL2250 (DVI)
Other - DVD Drive, Velocifire VM90 Keyboard, Logitech G502 Proteus spectrum wired mouse, Logitech G430 Wired headset, Printer USB plugged in (as my PC won't connect wirelessly to my printer, never has), 2 extra USB slots in the front of the case (4 total in the front), two ~6 inch fans (one in the top at the back + one the the bottom at the front).

Solution
As its happening at high load it suggests to me a power deliver issue, the first and most common thing to check is that the PSU supply to the CPU is correct. Check you the correct lead going to the 8 pin socket above the CPU.

The best thing for you to do in my opinion is return the PSU, considering the things you've already tried and assuming the wiring is correct it leaves few other options.
As its happening at high load it suggests to me a power deliver issue, the first and most common thing to check is that the PSU supply to the CPU is correct. Check you the correct lead going to the 8 pin socket above the CPU.

The best thing for you to do in my opinion is return the PSU, considering the things you've already tried and assuming the wiring is correct it leaves few other options.

Solution
Jan 24, 2019

I think you might have solved my issue. In this picture (https://imgur.com/a/oSkqMMt) of my motherboard my CPU power connector is only a 4-pin plugged into an 8-pin slot. I think the issue is my CPU might not be getting power correctly and could be the issue.

Will getting something like this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wentronic-51358-Internal-Power-Cable/dp/B002E4T9LG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1548327555&sr=8-6&keywords=cpu+4-pin+to+8-pin) be sufficient to plug my 4-pin into to then plug into the 8-pin, or will it still provide the same power, or will that not work at all? If it doesn't I will need a new PSU regardless if this is the issue.

Yes that PSU doesnt look great and the RX580 is quiet power hungry.

The 4 Pin to 8 Pin adapter may not solve the issue (and the reviews of that product suggest its very bad quality and even dangerous), either way you'd be better off investing in a better quality PSU. The power you have is fine (750w) but go for a Gold/Silver rated PSU. Something like EVGA, Corsair, etc...

Jan 24, 2019

After looking around this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermaltake-256-Color-Supply-Warranty-PS-SPR-0700NHSAWK-1/dp/B07FVZ1YSK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) seems to be a good option (doesn't say gold on the amazon page but it does on others) not sure if 700w is good enough but it is 80+ gold so hopefully it is, but do you think that it's good enough for the system?

500w is the minimum recommended for an Rx580 system so 700w should be fine and give you some overhead