Question ASUS Anti-Surge triggering 3-5 minutes after launching a game ? -- help!

Mar 4, 2021
Hey, all about a week or so ago I had my power go out either late at night or early morning (I'm not sure if this is relevant or the cause of my issue) I thought nothing of it and booted my PC up to browse reddit and chat on Discord. I opened and played Runescape 3 for a few hours then closed it and attempted to play Destiny 2, my PC then restarted itself and the ASUS Anti-surge screen popped up telling me to go into the BIOS.

From that point on loading any game has had the system restart, I've tried disabling it to see if that corrected the issue but the USB devices (mouse, keyboard) restart/stop working and my monitors just turn on and off repeatedly until I restart the system manually.

Here's my system specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
BIOS: Version 3802 // 3/15/2018
RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB)
GPU: Nvidia 980 ti
PSU: SeaSonic 620W // EVGA 600W

I've replaced the PSU because I was thinking it somehow got fried, I had a spare lying around and the issue is still happening. I've checked out WhoCrashed and checked my minidumps and the only thing that has shown on there is from February 22nd (I ran DDU and completely uninstalled all Nvidia drivers from my PC and have installed the newest drivers currently 461.72).

I've tried a different extension cable, a different cable for the PSU and a new outlet/different room in the house to just verify those weren't the issues.

I can run CPU stress tests and GPU stress tests but the PC won't restart even after being tested for 5-10 minutes, however I've noticed when testing my GPU if I close FurMark and try to test on a different resolution the PC will restart.

I'm beginning to believe that my GPU is dying/something is the matter with it due to the minidumps from Windows but I've not gotten another crash dump since the 22nd and it is March 4th and the PC has definitely crashed since then.
I took the GPU out of and ran on integrated graphics but I couldn't play any graphically intensive games to test the stability.

Anyone got any ideas on what else to check/test to fix my PC?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old are the PSU's? You shouldn't be using older gen PSU's for concurrent hardware. What is the model for both PSU's? You should also state the version for your OS and the BIOS for your motherboard. If the Seasonic's are the M12 or S12 II's then disable C6 and C7 power states, standby power. See if that helps.

Mar 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old are the PSU's? You shouldn't be using older gen PSU's for concurrent hardware. What is the model for both PSU's? You should also state the version for your OS and the BIOS for your motherboard. If the Seasonic's are the M12 or S12 II's then disable C6 and C7 power states, standby power. See if that helps.

Thanks, I've googled and come across Tom's Hardware posts for years and figured I'd finally make a post of my own.

The SeaSonic M12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply was my old PSU I bought it in early 2016 replaced it with the EVGA 600W 80+ in very late 2019/early 2020 so they're both still relatively fresh.

OS is Windows 10 and BIOS is the most updated version, 3802 however the date for my version 3802 is like a month off I noticed this last time when I updated my BIOS and the date's still haven't changed..

Had to download a copy of my motherboard manual but I disabled C6/C7 Power states, couldn't find where to disable standby power. Issue still persists after doing this though.

Last edited: