[SOLVED] Asus Anti Surge was triggered by unstable power supply

Sep 10, 2018
It happened couple weeks ago and happened again just recently. Screen goes blank and then PC boots into BIOS with error "Asus Anti Surge was triggered by unstable power supply" etc.
Whats odd is my router would go down (windows 10 connectivity in taskbar has yellow caution thingy) right after my PC resets then internet connects back after couple minutes. I've been using this PC for 5 years without any issues until now. I'm connected to a ungrounded power outlet BTW, never became an issue though.

Solution
I have read a lot of people having ASUS anti-surge trigger and not being able to figure out why.
I have also seen where it worked like it is supposed to.
A lot of the people that had trouble disabled it and didn't seem to have issues.
Although, I wouldn't disable it unless I was pretty confident my PSU wasn't a problem.
...and I would use an oscilloscope for that....and if I didn't have that....I would swap in a good quality PSU and see if it went away. I wouldn't want to trust my expensive hardware to the chance that it was working.
"Whats odd is my router would go down (windows 10 connectivity in taskbar has yellow caution thingy) right after my PC resets then internet connects back after couple minutes."

I think this might not be related. I've had this happen quite a bit at different times.

...but I do think you may have a power supply issue.

You could run HWInfo and check your PSU voltages. What you would do is run it, minimize it, run something like a game (and hope it doesn't crash), exit out, and go read the high and low values in HWInfo.

If the values go further than 5% away from +12, +5 and + 3.3V....you have a PSU problem.

You can also measure these voltages with a voltmeter.

Sep 10, 2018
Here is the result after playing Killing Floor 2 for an hour

TVrdDfr.png

Sep 10, 2018
I guess disabling Anti-surge in BIOS seems like my best bet for now but I fear it may leave my PC vulnerable. I couldn't find any documentation on Asus anti-surge feature anywhere, will probably have to contact Asus support and see how it goes from there.

I have read a lot of people having ASUS anti-surge trigger and not being able to figure out why.
I have also seen where it worked like it is supposed to.
A lot of the people that had trouble disabled it and didn't seem to have issues.
Although, I wouldn't disable it unless I was pretty confident my PSU wasn't a problem.
...and I would use an oscilloscope for that....and if I didn't have that....I would swap in a good quality PSU and see if it went away. I wouldn't want to trust my expensive hardware to the chance that it was working.

Solution