"Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply"

wingedwonder

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hello,

I built my current setup back in January of this year, all new parts, and I've begun seeing this message after my computer restarts itself without warning. It typically occurs when playing Final Fantasy XIV, but sometimes it happens with something as simple as online browsing. I'm not sure if the problem is that my husband's kept it on the tile floor, and not cleaned the dust from it once, if the PSU is no longer stable, or if the motherboard is just over-sensitive as I've seen in some posts. I tested the wall outlet and power strip/surge protector with a multimeter, and everything read fine except for two outlets, which I've told him to avoid.

Here's the part list if it helps:

Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core
Asus P8H77-V
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600
Mushkin Chronos 60GB 2.5" SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
PNY GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Corsair 600W Builder Series ATX12V

The Corsair Builder Series is actually supposed to be pretty reliable from what I read, so I'm fairly certain that's not the problem, but I can't be sure with how nasty he let the vents get. Inside the case wasn't too gross, but there is a light layer of dust over the components. Not enough to cause a problem, I would think, but I wouldn't be asking if I knew for certain.

I've read some things saying to just disable the anti-surge feature, but if he's borked the power supply, I don't want to risk ruining the motherboard.

dispositional

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
I had the same problem and i took the side off of my case and noticed that the main motherboard power connector was not properly attached. I pushed it in until it snapped and have not had a problem since. Might be a good thing that I had the anti-surge enabled...

alitootoon

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
hello i have the same problem and every time i play game my pc will reboot and show me he same message i tired some solution such as update my bios and disable the protector but the problem didn't solved
my pc
core i7 4790k
asus gtx970
coolermaster v750 gold
asus z97 pro gamer
please help me

MGQTV

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
I had this problem last week with my trusted old EVGA 500W PSU and maximus viii hero, I ordered a corsair RM850 as I had been looking to upgrade in the past, now everything works perfectly. I would advise a new PSU, your current one may be coming to the end of it's life :(

Fauwst

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
Same here. My 5v rail is too high. But fluctuates greatly. Last two days: fine @5.040v and today its not under 6v.

Pc has been hardware diagnosed. Psu has been replaced twice: not the problem.

Took out mem, changed pos and ran checks.

Brought the pc to a repairshop. Said pc is fine hardwarewise but he can't fix the problem.

I'm out of ideas.

Bazenga

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
I had this problem show up this morning when I powered on my computer. This computer is a brand new build, only a month old. The computer has run like a champ with zero issues since I built it. Last night before bed, I shut down my computer like always. This morning I pressed the power button and nothing happened. I pressed it again, nothing. Pressed it again, nothing. Finally after pressing it another time it powered on. That's when the message occurred. "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply." I knew I had plenty of power because I future proofed this build. I was able to enter the BIOS, save and exit and it booted to Windows 10 just fine. The computer operated just fine. I ran some tests and all seemed fine. I ran an intense game for about 30 minutes and all was fine. So I restarted the computer and no error. I then clicked SHUT DOWN. When I pressed the power button on my tower, nothing happened again just like earlier. After pressing the power button 4 - 5 times, it began to boot up and displayed the error message again. I pressed F1 to enter setup.

At this point, I pulled out my laptop and began reading about this error. To my dismay there was a range of "check this", "try this", "do this", etc. I decided to check the BIOS version. My current version was 0803. I went to the ASUS website, went to my motheboard (ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING), checked for the most current BIOS version and there has been 2 releases since 0803. Most up to date version was 1102. I also noticed under the summary for 1102, it stated "Improved System Stability." I figured ah HA!! GOTCHA!! I downloaded and installed the new BIOS version and the problem has since been resolved. Now when I shut down and then press the power button once, it begins to boot up immediately. Hopefully this is a permanent fix. If the issue resurfaces I will update my post. Hope this solution helps a lot of people! Thanks and good luck.

Best Regards,
- Bazenga

Aditya_76

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
I built my system in December 2015, and after few days, I started to have sudden system freezes. Next boot showed that ASUS anti-surge was triggered due to unstable power supply. However, even after switching off the feature, the system freezes continued. I checked and rechecked the power connectors. Checked the PSU (Corsair VS550), RAM (G-Skill RipjawsX 8gb) but could not get to the problem. Furthermore, these system freezes were absolutely RANDOM. I had system freezes even when the system was left idle with no programs running. I upgraded the BIOS on my Motherboard ( ASUS B150M Plus D3). But there was no change. Hence I was thinking of changing my PSU. BUT, just a few days back, ASUS released a new version of BIOS (0701). So I updated to this version. AND LO and BEHOLD, the problem seems to have disappeared. I have not had any system Freezes for last 3 days, despite the fact that the uptime of my system has increased a lot (practically 14 hours daily).
SO, In the end, it was a BIOS issue (as far as myself is concerned). I don't know about other chipsets, but for B150M plus D3 board, BIOS 0701 is the most stable.

hiawathaa

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
I had the same problem and I finally managed to find a solution: before changing your PSU, check your cables. I had poorly connected power cable to the motherboard which caused the power surge.

TobiTheMad

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
Hello Bazenga. Thank you for spreading some light on my recently accuring problem with my new super built. It did the exact same thing as you, almost.

I haven't fixed it yet, but I will do it A.S.A.P now that I know what the problem is. I talked with my wonderful uncle where we tried to come with solutions for like 2 hours, and we couldn't find out what the problem was. Now I thank you again for coming up with a reliable and great solution, that might be the reason to my recent "Lockdowns".

My pc specs:
i7 Skylake 6700k
GTX Geforce 970
PSU Corsair 850W
Z170-P Asus motherboard
2TB Seagate.

-Tobi

Puffnstuff

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I'm running a Maximus VII Hero with an Enermax Platimax 1350w PS and I am having the same issue. I discovered on my own about the anti-surge setting and disabled it. That thing was randomly shutting down my system when it wasn't warranted.

G

I have an old average grade psu which was working fine for some years until system started having these restarts and surge message which didnt stop after disabling the protection in bios. turns out i had set the game to externally limited frame rate which caused jumps in gpu power consumption on shifting in and out of demanding scenarios causing the surge and pc restart. it stopped after uncapping the frame limit. might not happen with a quality psu.

Mr Melbourne

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
I've been having this problem since last year and I know how irritating it is. I've just read online that by taking your motherboard battery out you are able to effectively re-set your Bios - this seems to have helped in my own case (crossed fingers). I tried everything to rid myself of this error "Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply" and finally I may have found the solution in 'removing the battery' (re-start and re-set Bios to default, then shut down and re-start again (this time with the battery installed). As far as I can gather, my Bios was in some sort of horrible cycle and could not re-set properly to default or factory settings - I'm not suggesting this will work on your own PC but the voltage issue in Bios seems to have 'normalised' and I can play games/use demanding programmes without the constant shutting down.. - good luck..

yazmo

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
hey guy i have this problem, for a while now, as far ias i know, i buy new power supply , still doing it, i buy a new power bar with ground detection, outlet was not ground since i ground this outlet, he does it, but way less frenquently, so there two option to me, one is the asus motherboard itself i see it often the same board too ausu p877z etc... in that same time, with the cpy 3570k, i have seen a lot of ppl having the same exact setup and having the asus surge protection error. or else its the house electricity that is so damn dirty that make the motherboard unstable, i try those Graham dirty electricity filter and its still crash.
so it would be nice from asus to assume the problem.

theire is something weitrd i can still talk in skype the computer is completly stuck.

Mar 1, 2019
Hi Guys
Recently i had this issue but it's easy to resolve when the power supply is fluctuating then this happens. Asus motherboard in this situation it will ON the Anti-surge protection.
So we need to OFF that.
Go to bios> and switch OFF the Anit surge protection then restart the pc and issue will resolve..

Mar 18, 2019
I wanted to express appreciation for responses on this thread, particularly from the two people who said that they solved the issue by making sure the connection from the PSU to the motherboard was secure. I was thinking that couldn't possibly be the cause for me, but lo and behold it was. I wasn't looking forward to having to replace the PSU so thank you for saving me that headache.

Mar 18, 2019
I wanted to express appreciation for responses on this thread, particularly from the two people who said that they solved the issue by making sure the connection from the PSU to the motherboard was secure. I was thinking that couldn't possibly be the cause for me, but lo and behold it was. I wasn't looking forward to having to replace the PSU so thank you for saving me that headache.

Feb 24, 2020
Unplug power supply, press and hold power button for about one minute while pc is unplugged. This solved issue for my pc. I think disabling anti-surge is risky and should be avoided. It's a protection mechanism after all.