Question Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply

Yelloww

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Specs: Intel i5-6600k @4.4GHz 1.27v
Phanteks PH-TC12DX Dual-Tower CPU Cooler
ASUS Z170-A LGA1151 ATX Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Memory
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti XTREME Gaming 6GB Video Card
EVGA SuperNOVA 650w G2 80+ GOLD Power Supply

This month I changed my ram frequency from 2400MHz to 2700MHz and around the same time frame I changed my CPU OC from 4.5GHz and 1.33v to what is mentioned in the spec list above.

I literally had no problem with the PC at ALL with these changes until a week later where it would shut off out of the blue and refuse to turn on. I swapped the ram sticks to different slots and waited 30 minutes, voila it's back to normal again, although during post the BIOS says "Overclock failed!" so I decide to reset my ram back to stock frequency.

There was nothing going on until 8 days later, where my PC shuts off again but this time when it managed to turn on the bios says "Asus anti-surge is triggered to protect system from unstable power supply!"

I have seen numerous threads saying that this might be a false positive but I don't have the gullet to disable it and risk damaging my components in case it decides to shut off again.

Sadly I do not have a spare power supply to troubleshoot the PC, nor do I have a surge protector to the outlet

I've done numerous tests using prime95 with the current overclock and I haven't had any errors pop up during a 30 minutes which seems to be the sweet spot when running the test in said app, temperature only maxes out to 66c on the CPU and 70c on the GPU so both do not look like the culprit here.

TL;DR Did additional tinkering to the CPU and RAM OC after 3 years only for PC to shut off at random intervals due to "Asus anti-surge is triggered to protect system from unstable power supply!"

Appreciate the help

Yelloww

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Just an update, I tried to turn the PC back on after the "Asus anti-surge is triggered to protect system from unstable power supply!" error , but the fans would only spin for half a second only for the PC to shut off again... Any idea why? Getting worried